cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Discussion on Hosting Support vs Content Support using WordPress

To GoDaddy

I have been a customer for several years now. Using various services such as hosting, domains, and most recently SSL certificates. 

Today I called up for some assistance with my Sydney hens and bucks domain which encountered a theme error on the WordPress platform. After speaking to a helpful technician over the phone, the best solution they could offer me was to charge me $420 for some service to do with repairing the issue and a new layer of security of malware i think, or $120 to repair the issue solely. I said to the service officer, "after all these years of being with you, the best you can do in this scenario is charge me more money?" He said yes. 

I thanked him for his help and proceeded to find a solution on my own. Sure enough within five minutes of Googling, I was able to determine that the error came from a theme which frequently breaks down when updating new WordPress versions. I called back and spoke to another gentleman who assisted me to find FTP in cPanel, and I was able to fix up my own issue within 5 to 10 minutes of that phone call. All that was required was to rename the faulty theme with a .hold at the end. 

Having being a loyal customer of go daddy for several years now, I am deeply upset that my initial call for help was met with – "pay us more money and we will fix the problem for you". A problem which turned out to be a 5 minute solution. Whilst I appreciate that the error was on the Wordpress end, having full knowledge of the quick remedy within your backend, your staff decided to try syphon more money from me before providing any quick fix.

Thanks for nothing, tomorrow I start looking for a new hosting provider.

Tarik Gouda

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User I
Super User I
Solution

Re: Discussion on Hosting Support vs Content Support using WordPress

@TarikG 

To further clarify what @Nate said, what you had was a WordPress issue, not a hosting issue.

GoDaddy is your hosting company, not your website developer. They do not own WordPress. That is a third-party program that you choose to use on the hosting you purchase from them.

Your issue was with the change to scripting on the WordPress coding, not a hosting issue. This makes it a web development issue.

You did the right thing! You looked for a solution and how to implement it and called back into support for assistance.

In order to correct the issue, after you had determined the cause and found the solution, all you needed was a little help with the HOSTING interface to correct the WEB DEVELOPMENT issue on your own.

The services the previous customer support agent offered were legitimate. You needed web development help, not hosting support help. For web development, there is an additional cost. You circumvented that cost by figuring out the solution yourself. Great job and everything worked as it should!

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Unfortunately scripting issues are outside of the scope of standard hosting support, as it's unrelated to the product.  The community is here as an advice layer to provide suggestions when you're not sure what to do.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @TarikG. Thanks for sharing your concern and for being a customer. I'm sorry you feel that something dishonest or unethical occurred. It sounds like you were having an issue with the theme for your WordPress site. I'm glad that you were able to get this figured out on your own. While it may have seemed like an easy fix for you, not all customers have your level of skill. This is why we have paid services to fix website issues. Per our statement of support (see section G), our agents do not assist with applications or scripts installed into a hosting plan.

Because of the above, the agent you were with may have offered you our WordPress Premium Support to diagnose and repair the issue for you. They may also have offered our Website Security service that will find and remove malicious coding (if you had expressed concerns that your website was compromised). In either case, this was not an attempt to fleece you, but simply offering the services we have available to address this sort of situation. I hope this helps clarify how our service works. 

If there is a specific technical issue that the community can try to help out with, I'd encourage you to post that subject as it's own thread. Someone may be able to provide suggestions on how you can move forward.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Super User I
Super User I
Solution

@TarikG 

To further clarify what @Nate said, what you had was a WordPress issue, not a hosting issue.

GoDaddy is your hosting company, not your website developer. They do not own WordPress. That is a third-party program that you choose to use on the hosting you purchase from them.

Your issue was with the change to scripting on the WordPress coding, not a hosting issue. This makes it a web development issue.

You did the right thing! You looked for a solution and how to implement it and called back into support for assistance.

In order to correct the issue, after you had determined the cause and found the solution, all you needed was a little help with the HOSTING interface to correct the WEB DEVELOPMENT issue on your own.

The services the previous customer support agent offered were legitimate. You needed web development help, not hosting support help. For web development, there is an additional cost. You circumvented that cost by figuring out the solution yourself. Great job and everything worked as it should!

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post