cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Domain contact information privacy

I have a number of domains names registered with Godaddy and I have been using GoDaddy's services for a long time. However this has started happening recently that as soon as I register a new domain name, I start getting calls from some proclaimed agencies.
This is of real concern to me as it looks like our details are shared with spammers specially with we buy new domain names.
I understand Godaddy would charge extra for domain security and all, but is this ethical that our data is shared to these so called agencies without our consent?
Most annoying part is that when I ask them where they got my information, they say "we have agreement with Godaddy to share such information and if you have any problem, you talk to them".
For me this is more concerning and I have started thinking of moving away from Godaddy.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: Domain contact information privacy

Hi @igdent. I can understand how you could come to that conclusion. However, the reality is that GoDaddy does not sell customer information. Period. The likely reason that you're experiencing the issue with GoDaddy vs other registrars is that we're the largest domain registrar, so our WHOIS data is searched more often. It's not too much different than a fisherman going to the lake that has the most fish in it. We also have additional measures outside of Private Registration to try to prevent this from happening. However, sometimes it still happens. If you'd like more information about the WHOIS database, please see this article.

Additionally, I'd like to point out that GoDaddy has no reason to sell this information. The people that are contacting you are trying to sell the same services that GoDaddy provides. This 3rd party article does a good job of explaining this point of view. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Hey there @NetDragons,

It's not a matter of ethical practice. The international organization that controls all domains, ICANN, states that information must be provided. If you don't pay for something like Domain Privacy, which is only available in certain countries to protect your privacy, then ICANN puts your information you used to register the domain in their public database.

Basically, there's nothing GoDaddy can do to protect that information, by law, unless you pay for the Domain Privacy.

So, nothing shady going on. GoDaddy must follow the rules they are given if they want to keep being a domain registrar. If you want that info protected, you have to pay for the protection.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Highlighted

But it's more of concern because as soon as I purchased a new domain, my inbox is bombarded with spam emails from (possibly dodgy) web agencies. And calls.
This never used to happen before and seems like my information has been compromise.
I understand what you mean but disagree to GoDadddy's part
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Again, once you purchase the domain, your information MUST be transmitted to ICANN. If you don't put the Domain Privacy on it, you WILL start getting spam email almost immediately. Spammers scrape the ICANN database 24/7 to find new people to spam. 

GoDaddy has no part in it other than allowing you to register your domain and opt in for domain privacy to prevent it. GoDaddy isn't doing anything out of the ordinary or shady with this practice. This is simply the industry standard. If you don't want your information out there, you have to pay for the protection.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Highlighted
New

I see this as a total scam. I have purchased many domain names over the years, without adding the privacy thing that you speak of, and have never had the sudden bombardment of spam that I am receiving now. The very moment I purchased a domain name through godaddy, my inbox was suddenly full. It's nothing to do with ICANN, otherwise it would happen when I purchase through someone else (which it doesn't). I accuse godaddy of selling our information.

Highlighted

Yes this is very cheap business tactic by GoDaddy. I have decided to move away from these people as my information is not secure and there is no guarantee that our personal info is also been shared to spammers.

GoDaddy is no more but another spammer. 

I am extremely disappointed with their privacy policy.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hi @igdent. I can understand how you could come to that conclusion. However, the reality is that GoDaddy does not sell customer information. Period. The likely reason that you're experiencing the issue with GoDaddy vs other registrars is that we're the largest domain registrar, so our WHOIS data is searched more often. It's not too much different than a fisherman going to the lake that has the most fish in it. We also have additional measures outside of Private Registration to try to prevent this from happening. However, sometimes it still happens. If you'd like more information about the WHOIS database, please see this article.

Additionally, I'd like to point out that GoDaddy has no reason to sell this information. The people that are contacting you are trying to sell the same services that GoDaddy provides. This 3rd party article does a good job of explaining this point of view. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi Jesse
Appreciate your comment but it is still not justifying.
I have over 20 domains and I got bombarded with spam emails every time I registered.
I have few domains with some other popular providers and I never had any issue.
If Godaddy is not selling data then there must be a leak in Godaddy's systems where these spammer have access to all data.