cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
mrichman333
Getting Started

Godaddy deleted my Website Builder v6 website

I did NOT get a renewal email notice, so my website builder  expired.  I renewed after 25 days after expiration.  Well, everything was gone gone gone and NO option to restore.  The site was built 10 years ago.  I called godaddy TWICE and both people just gave me BS to put me off. One told me they just need to update the DNS and my site will be back in 24 to 48 hours.  RIGHT.  The next person said it was updating should be back in a few minutes. BS BS BS.   My site is gone gone gone, and no one will twll me if it is possible to get it back.  What is going on

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
JesseW
Community Manager

Hi @mrichman333. Thanks for taking the time to write this post. We are in the process of moving all v6 Website Builder customers to Websites + Marketing as @PL281 mentioned. It sounds like there has definitely been some confusion around what that would mean for you. We did send emails regarding this change and that email had instructions on how to move your content from one platform to the other. I'm sorry if you did not see that for some reason. 

First, you mentioned that you renewed 25 days after expiration. I'm guessing in this case you're referring to your domain (with hosting and website builder plans, they are canceled 20 days after expiration). If a domain expires, its DNS will get updated so that it no longer points at your site. Renewing the domain and making sure it got pointed back to your site would have been the logical first step, and that does sometimes take a while. 

If updating the DNS did not bring your site back up, then the next thing to look at would have been whether or not a site was available. I do apologize if our Care team published your site before it was ready. That definitely shouldn't have happened.

In order to move forward, you'll need to get your old site content on the new site. However, rather than needing to use archive.org, your content should be available within the builder already. Please take a look at these instructions. With where I think you're at in the process now, you'd probably need to start at step #4. I hope this helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

@mrichman333 - If your other website was also on the same version of Website Builder, then the instructions on starting the process should be the same as in the article I linked to. If you can let me know what site you're referring to, that would help me understand what the situation is.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

8 REPLIES 8
PL281
Super User 2020

@mrichman333 

Based on your additional information in this post, I am going to make an assuming that you might have been on the older GoDaddy Website Builder platform (vs Websites + Marketing) - and I believe that you are correct that you did not get a renewal notice, however you should have gotten a notice about that version of the platform being phased out.

That said - if you can post your domain name here one thing to check is archive.org - if I am correct that your site was built on the older version of the website builder platform, then unfortunately no there is not the ability to restore it. My suggestion / hope is that you can go to archive.org and find a copy of it and then rebuild it on the new version of the platform.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Thank you.  Yes the site was built 10 years ago with website builder.  It was a simple one page website I built for a friends husband. (he can't turn a computer on).  It was all he wanted and it worked great, he got a lot of work from the site.   Now I'm did get some of the information back through archive.org.   Thank you for the suggestion.    I have to say I don't like the new platform as well as the old.    Will I be able to add meta tags and key words to the site?

JesseW
Community Manager

Hi @mrichman333. Thanks for taking the time to write this post. We are in the process of moving all v6 Website Builder customers to Websites + Marketing as @PL281 mentioned. It sounds like there has definitely been some confusion around what that would mean for you. We did send emails regarding this change and that email had instructions on how to move your content from one platform to the other. I'm sorry if you did not see that for some reason. 

First, you mentioned that you renewed 25 days after expiration. I'm guessing in this case you're referring to your domain (with hosting and website builder plans, they are canceled 20 days after expiration). If a domain expires, its DNS will get updated so that it no longer points at your site. Renewing the domain and making sure it got pointed back to your site would have been the logical first step, and that does sometimes take a while. 

If updating the DNS did not bring your site back up, then the next thing to look at would have been whether or not a site was available. I do apologize if our Care team published your site before it was ready. That definitely shouldn't have happened.

In order to move forward, you'll need to get your old site content on the new site. However, rather than needing to use archive.org, your content should be available within the builder already. Please take a look at these instructions. With where I think you're at in the process now, you'd probably need to start at step #4. I hope this helps. 

Thank you.  Now I have a second problem that you might help me with.  I have a second website that is still running that was made over 10 years ago.   I am mostly retired so I haven't looked at the site in a long time.   Could you send me those instructions on how to transfer to the new platform.

Thank you 

Mary

@mrichman333 - If your other website was also on the same version of Website Builder, then the instructions on starting the process should be the same as in the article I linked to. If you can let me know what site you're referring to, that would help me understand what the situation is.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Now the other site is GONE.  Not on the web or my product page.

taxbreaktoday.com

NOW I AM TOTALY P----d OFF.  My second site is gone.  After a hour on hold, I was told I had until yesterday to transfer everything to the new site builder.   And that I needed a new subscription to the tune of $157.  I renewed the other website two days ago for $67.  WHATS UP WITH THIS.????   And the new site builder is so Dumbed Down it's almost unusable.  I am beyond angry.  I would have been nice if the person I talked to yesterday and a few day before had warned me of what was about to happen.

mrichman333
Getting Started

This is a long story but I'll make it short as possible.  For the last 15 yrs I have had two domains and two website builders.  On 01/02 I discovered one of them expired so I renewed both the domain and website & marketing. (Barry-Cole-welding.com).   Then yesterday my other site (taxbreaktoday.com) was renewed and then disappeared.  I was about to transfer it to the new website and marketing platform when I noticed it was gone. After a hour on the phone they got the product back but it was blank of course.   So I build a simple 1 page site and uploaded it.  I go back today to work on Barry-Cole-Welding and IT"S NOT THERE.  The domain is, but the website builder is GONE and is replaced with a Maryrichmanaccountingservices or something like that.   NO IDEA where this came from.  I look at my order history, open the invoice for Barry-Cole-Welding and it NO LONGER says Barry-Cole Welding on it, it says Tax Break Today.  Well thankfully I downloaded the original receipt the day I renewed and it clearly says Barry-Cole-Welding.  SOMEONE CHANGED THE RECEIPT.  I don't think that legal or at least not ethical.   I have the original receipt.   Why and How could someone change it?   Will Someone Please listen to the phone conversation and figure out why someone is playing with me.  I called yesterday at 11:40 am EST the call lasted 1 hour 11 minutes and 31 seconds. I also called on 01/04 at 10:41 am EST and the call lasted 39 minutes and 47 seconds. I called on 01/02 at 12:29 am EST and the call lasted 27 minutes and 37 seconds.   Someone is in serious need of retraining or firing.   And I want to know why my receipt was changed and how that could happen