How we got our website loading in under 2 seconds flat
It's no secret that a fast performing site trumps the internet world. There are so many benifits to having a site with fast load times. Here are some of the reasons and steps to take to win in page speed.
1. Customer bounce rates. When a customer is shopping online they want to have the best possible browsing experience. Haven't you ever been on a companies website and were annoyed by how slow it was loading? It's a terrible consumer experience. Personally, I leave a slow site and move onto the next company offering similar products or services.
2. SEO, SEO, and more SEO! Site speed and performance has a direct correlation with how a website ranks. Google favors fast websites and the reason is that Google wants to provide the best search results to its customers. When we started doing the speed optimization for our Puppy Business, it was loading in about 5 seconds with a low page score on GTmetrix. After our optimizations, we had the site loading in under 2 seconds with an A score on both Yslow and PageSpeed. We have had it load with it's fastest time being 1.1 seconds. Big win for that project.
Another great example is a personal site I created that John Cantlin with an average load time of a whopping 1.2 seconds.
So how did I do this? I'll list out I took to make this possible.
1. Pick a theme that is already optimized for speed. When looking for a website, I take three things into consideration. 1. Does the site come optimized out of the box? Does the site have great design? 3. Can you easily optimize it to perform better? You might fall in love with a theme but if it doesn't have these 3 traits, I would keep looking until you find one.
2. Install WP Rocket. WP Rocket is hands down the best cashing plugin on the market. They will help your users see the fastest and latest version of your website. WPRock also improves your GTMetrix score dramatically.
3. Setup Cloudflare. One of GTMetrix page score metrics is CDN. Cloudflare will automatically store your files on their servers.
4. Install Humming Bird Pro. This plugin is really a lifesaver for us. You can defer scripts, move to the footer or even disable slow loading scrips that are not necessary for your website. Humming Bird Assetoptimization has gives every one of my companies a fighting chance online. Use with caution as some scripts can break the look and feel of your site.
In conclusion, no matter what steps you take, be sure to get that page speed down so that you will perform better and your customers will be happier.
Re: How we got our website loading in under 2 seconds flat
HelloPreferablePups, I hope you are doing well. Thank you for this great post. Website loading speed also affects website ranking. When it comes to website load times, speed matters. A load time of one second or less is ideal, and the entire experience must be quick and responsive in order to keep customers browsing and buying. Accordingly, it makes sense that web developers would do everything in their power to ensure that their site is nimble. The problem can become even more pronounced for those who go online via a virtual private network (VPN) connection, which is inherently slower because of the encryption/decryption process.
Follow these steps to increase the website loading speed.