cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    iisik
    New

Domain purchase canceled at GoDaddy but now listed for sale at HugeDomains

I have bought the domain name lorive.com at 11/16/2020 for 1,100 USD.

2 days later at 11/18/2020 I got a cancellation message from Afternic Transcation Service: "Unfortunately, the seller of lorive.com has just confirmed with us that they no longer own this domain and we are forced to cancel this sale. We apologize for any inconvenience."

However one day later, the domain is now listed for sale at HugeDomains.com for 6.895 USD. It seems the domain was sold one day after my purchase. Interestingly now HugeDomains shows this message, which is another proof: "lorive.com is currently locked at GoDaddy with a ICANN mandated reguloraty lock. This domain will not be available to transfer to NameBright.com where we maintain all of our payment plan domain accounts until on or around January 26, 2021 (58 days)."

Reserving domain names just to sell them for a high price is in my eyes unethical and harming people who wants to open a business. It's harming the persons, who want to use the domain names seriously. It is said, that actually governments and registration offices allow this kind of practice. 

GoDaddy was the registrar of the domain name lorive.com and still saying, well we don't know the owners of the domains. A domain name is getting worthy once there is somebody who wants it and I guess, you are using this in order to make more money out of it.

I will post this case to other forums as well to make people aware of your practice. People should protect themselves from scammers like you are.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    PL281
    Super User IV

@iisik 

My understand is if a buyer defaults (doesn't pay) then it can go to the next highest bidder until someone accepts it - I found an article about the domain dispute.com from a few years ago.

Also from the searching I did - my understanding is that there maybe some language in the T&C that says something along the lines of subject to the domain owner releasing the domain - as the domain is not necessary in escrow.

To your point about participating in a domain auction - my advise is 2 things

1) Read every last detail of the T&C

2) Check to see if the domain is in escrow prior to the auction - that would then give you some protection of the domain being with a 3rd party and once they release the domain it does become yours due to the escrow agreements

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

3 REPLIES 3
    PL281
    Super User IV

@iisik 

I am an end user like you - I can tell you, that you are not the first to post something like this. What I have found to be the most common issue as it relates to the Domain Auctions is what the seller has the right to do.

Unlike when you purchase via an auction on eBay that once it is sold - you've won (with few exceptions) - When it comes to Domain Auctions - it is a bit different - What I have found from reading some of the Terms & Conditions - some domains end up in auction because the "owner" has placed it there - others are there are part of automation after the domain has expired - but is still in redemption.

My understanding is that for example a domain could have expired and be in redemption (around 30 days after expiration) - and GoDaddy's system places it in the auction system. You then win the auction - the original owner then has the right to renew the domain (with the redemption fee) and you would be refunded your purchase.

The details of where the owner has the "right to cancel" is spelled out. I don't know how other domain auction sites work but I know this is something with Afternic 

I just did a Google Search and saw a similar issue with NameJet (another auction service) - I don't know if there is something in the ICANN regulations about original owner rights and that is why this happens - 

All I can say is that Domain Auctions are 100% not the same as purchasing via an auction on eBay

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Thanks @PL281 for your reply. Actually I am currently verifying this case with the help of a lawyer. Not quite sure if GoDaddy and Afternic are allowed to do this.

In any case, if they have speculated that I will buy the domain with a higher price - all I can say is, that I will never support this kind of business. Even if I wanted the domain name so badly. I will just go for another option.

I guess there might be even a case, where they can still own the domain, however are not allowed to sell it. I'm also verifying this option. On the other side, what happens if you purchase the domain and not pay it? There not to be equal rights on both sides. I cannot imagine this works only one way. Afernic has the right to cancel, but you as the buyer don't?

This is an unserious business and should not tolerated by anyone. 

PL281
    Super User IV

@iisik 

My understand is if a buyer defaults (doesn't pay) then it can go to the next highest bidder until someone accepts it - I found an article about the domain dispute.com from a few years ago.

Also from the searching I did - my understanding is that there maybe some language in the T&C that says something along the lines of subject to the domain owner releasing the domain - as the domain is not necessary in escrow.

To your point about participating in a domain auction - my advise is 2 things

1) Read every last detail of the T&C

2) Check to see if the domain is in escrow prior to the auction - that would then give you some protection of the domain being with a 3rd party and once they release the domain it does become yours due to the escrow agreements