cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Any advise for a newbie in domain auctions?

Spoiler
Hello guys I am very newbie and just have started with auctioning domain names. I was wondering to know if you have any advise for me as newbie?
viabizconsulters.com
legalconsulters.com

Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
Super User I Super User I
Super User I
Solution

Re: Any advise for a newbie in domain auctions?

Are you asking as a buyer or as a seller?
For a buyer I would say, if you see a domain that you HAVE TO have then snap it up as expediently as you can. That might mean making an offer rather than waiting for the auction to end (if that is an option from the seller). As a buyer use an intermediary (especially at first). If a domain is too pricey I will advise my clients to look for another domain or maybe even company name if they are a new company.
For a seller I'd say stay firm on a price but also open your auction up for offers above a certain price. Don't think it is a "If you list it they will come." kind of a thing. When we have domains to sell we find clients for the domain rather than having them try to find us. I'd look for businesses with a similar domain or that could acquire your domain to add to their business footprint. I can't tell you how many .COM domains we have sold to the holders of the .ORG, .NET, .INFO... Hopefully the different TLDs are held by different people and there can be a bidding war?
When buying and selling both patience and persistence is the key. Additionally I love GoDaddy Auctions and the team over at afternic, I have always found them to be knowledgeable and helpful. They are great for those new to selling and acquiring domains but they are also a great resource to people very involved in domain commerce.
Make sure to come back and update us on how your experience was @raminjan, happy domaining!

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Thank you so much for your advise. Just to clarify, I am a domain seller but a very newbie one. haha but it is a honor to learn from experts like yourself. 

Just one question if I may ask? You mentioned that I should contact businesses within my domain category. So for example, if I got legalconsulters as my domain, then maybe I should contact law firms right? by the way my TLD on this is a dot com.

Thanks buddy.

Super User I

Expert? No way, not me? Maybe? I guess it depends? Thank you, thank you. You're far too kind.

Anyway... I typically start with searching for the keywords of the domain but yes you are on the right track. The Truth is you can keep a domain for ten (10) years and still sell at a considerable profit. What we usually do is monetize the domain while we hold it and throw in some SEO, that way it helps to justify the cost a bit more. Most domains end up paying for themselves so your portfolio won't really cost you any money out of pocket. Occasionally we have customers come to us for website design and we have the perfect domain for them anyway in our portfolio. 

I'm not typically in the business of buying domains to hold our sell but sometimes domains fall in our lap and we monitize those. If I go out and look for domains we're looking for high value domains. Usually those are one or two word domains and probably within the more popular TLDs. For me the domain selling business isn't as lucrative as it once was. I know that there are opportunities but be in it for the long haul. 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

Perfectly said. Buy the existing changes to companies and sell there TLD back to them.

Your the only domainier that got common sense - kudos

Yea - don't agree on a price with a domain name owner and then place your agreed purchase price as a bid in an auction. They can and probably will post it to a 7 day live auction where your agreed price just became an opening bid. Deal direct and stay off the auction block. They do not tell you that until after you have submitted your bid. 

Quick Auction Advice Loaded

I've been sitting on a number of choice domains for years now and have decided its time to sell them. I did some basic research where I'm comfortable with my strategy.  I listed 36 domains using various listing types just to get my feet wet.

I noticed there were a bunch of "views" on the listings, but i also noticed almost just as much "traffic". This is where I need the most advice.  I'm assuming the "traffic" is visits to the actual domain. Half of my domains are Parked and the other i have Cash Parking enabled. What is the best practice when trying to sell a domain? What is an average Buyer Looking to See when they land on the site? Does it look bad to have the domain point to Cash Parking? 

I was thinking of designing and publishing a "For Sale" Landing Page or a themed image. Is there a way to "link to your listing"? 

Please Let Me Know What You Think or If You Have Any Advice. Thanks. 

Proper catagory for mohasty.com

I gave my son a few domains to sell and want to offer him some guidance.

I need to give him some advice on a category in which to list mohasty.com

mohasty is a slang term for marijuana.

Also looking for thoughts on using a "featured" listing for this domain.

New

Hi There -- thank you for the reply post. Very helpful! I am a buyer and wanted to know, what do you mean by, "As a buyer use an intermediary (especially at first)"?

Also, should I use a personal email to reach out to the seller or my business one (which has a similar handle to the domain name I'm trying to acquire). I feel like the latter might put me at a negotiating disadvantage.

What's customary?

Thank you!

RC

Super User I

@ABD704wrote:

Hi There -- thank you for the reply post. Very helpful! I am a buyer and wanted to know, what do you mean by, "As a buyer use an intermediary (especially at first)"?

Also, should I use a personal email to reach out to the seller or my business one (which has a similar handle to the domain name I'm trying to acquire). I feel like the latter might put me at a negotiating disadvantage.

What's customary?

Thank you!

RC

Sorry that I slept on this for awhile, next time please @rd (or whoever you are asking) so I/they get a special notice to come and reply.

What I mean is that when I first started off I used services to act on my behalf with the seller. It helped me learning a bit of the ropes so to speak. Getting the gentle conversation and first email thing down can make a huge difference. At the very least go through the process a couple of times first even if it is with low value domains to get your feet wet.

As for what email address I would use to contact the seller I would not use the one similar to the domain to which you are inquiring. Emailing from abd704@bestdomain.com while inquiring about bestdomains.com might read as desperation to the seller? My usual method of inquiring about domains is from my GMail, HotMail... account that is not associated with my business. I've found that the price can go up depending on your company, need, situation... A generic email address should work just fine for inquiries. I hope that helps?