cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New

Check expiry date before transferring domain

Hi all,

I have a domain recently renewed for 3 years term with GoDaddy. The renewal date was 07/08/2017. So logically, the expiry date after renewing should be 2020.

After 2 weeks of renewal, I transferred my domain away from GoDaddy to a new registrar. When the transferring succeeded, the new registrar told me they added another year for me which make my expiry date is 2020 (!?). I'm supposed this should be some date in 08/2021. The new registrar confirmed all the detail is correct.

Is there anyway I can check my expiry date again before transferring (and after the renewal with GoDaddy)?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
Helper VI
Helper VI

Re: Check expiry date before transferring domain

Hi @tung, yes you can.

You have to check the whois records for the domain, there you'll see the dates. GoDaddy has a whois search, you may also want to check in who.is, or any other whois public search.

Hope it helps!

If you find my replies helpful, give me a like or kudo 🙂
And if I solved your issue, mark it as solution 😄
New

Hi @jpablo,

Thank you. However, the whois result only shows the current data. I'd like to know what is my expiry day right before the transferring.

Regards,

Helper VI
Helper VI

@tung what do you mean?

In the whois it shows the expiry time, here's an example for microsoft.com:

Important Dates
Expires On
2021-05-03
Registered On
1991-05-02
Updated On
2014-10-15

Hope it helps!

If you find my replies helpful, give me a like or kudo 🙂
And if I solved your issue, mark it as solution 😄

Hi @tung,

I understand the renewal dates can be confusing. If you renewed your domain with GoDaddy after it was already expired, we would have added 3 years to the domain's registration. However, it you had been expired first, renewed and then transferred away in less than 45 days from that renewal, the Registry would have removed a year of that registration.

This is common practice for the registry. You may contact our customer support on this if you need to review the condition of your renewal.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support