cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Domain and Hosting transfer with no downtime

Hi, I need some help with transferring my company hosting and domain. Right now we have hosting with let's say company A and domain with company B. Also DNS zones are configured/managed at company A. We wants to move everything to godaddy managed WordPress hosting and i read multiple threads before but not able to come to a plan that i can submit.

So this is what I am thinking right now, first I am gonna purchase godaddy managed wordpress hosting and migrate the WordPress files from company A using the temporary domain. Then transfer the domain from company B to Godaddy. (I hope this does not results in email/website downtime as hosting is with Company A). Once the domain transfer completed then host the DNS at godaddy mirroring everything from Company A. Once the DNS added point the domain to godaddy hosting!

Does this make sense? is the the exact sequence of things? Please advice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User III

You can do the DNS before the transfer to eliminate that variable.  You would set-up the DNS here with your email,etc. and then change the nameservers at the current provider.  Allow a few hours or even a day between these steps, then when you do transfer the domain you have that overlap.

Adding the domain in the hosting settings generates a zonefile, or if you are not ready to add it to the hosting "DNS Hosting" can be used instead.  Then you can manage the zone by going to https://dcc.godaddy.com/manage/YOURDOMAIN.COM/dns

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User III

You can do the DNS before the transfer to eliminate that variable.  You would set-up the DNS here with your email,etc. and then change the nameservers at the current provider.  Allow a few hours or even a day between these steps, then when you do transfer the domain you have that overlap.

Adding the domain in the hosting settings generates a zonefile, or if you are not ready to add it to the hosting "DNS Hosting" can be used instead.  Then you can manage the zone by going to https://dcc.godaddy.com/manage/YOURDOMAIN.COM/dns

View solution in original post

so are you saying I should add the DNS hosting before transferring the domain? and once the domain completely transferred point domain to Godaddy hosting?
Did I got it correct?

Hi @jismonthomas,

Yes, you have it correct from @Nate. If you set up hosted DNS (off-site DNS) prior to transfer, the domain will move without interruption. 

1. Create the hosted DNS
  2. Update the nameserver at the current registrar to the GoDaddy nameserver given in step 1
  3. After 24-48 hours (to propagate) purchase the transfer  and proceed at GoDaddy

You can now manage your DNS at GoDaddy - before, during, and after the transfer.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support