cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Moving domain to Google to avoid forced transfer to Exchange email

I waited to try to find a solution to Godaddy's discontinued pop email.  Hoping to set up a forwarder, I cancelled the email address.  Mail forwarder did not work.

So I checked Gmail's instructions and it looks like transferring the domain will get my email back up running for free and without having to use Exchange.  Didn't realize Godaddy can take their time releasing my domain name.  (I though I owned it - not them!)

There may be an easier way.  Just posting this as a warning to others.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User IV

@Onlyuserofdomai 

I'm an end user like you - I'm curious where you've read / were told that Google has any sort of free email at your domain name. 

The only thing that is out there that I've seen - although it isn't recommended

Is to forward mail from email@yourdomain.com to youremail@gmail.com and then setup a send as within gMail - I know that Google has blocked certain things - also this could cause email to get caught by spam filters.

As someone who hosts mail accounts for clients - I can tell you other than hosting email on a cPanel account there are very few services if any that provide free mail accounts. Zoho Mail has a free package for up to 5 accounts but only allows for webmail. 

Most standalone email services cost at minimum $1-$3/month/account depending on who you use.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User IV

@Onlyuserofdomai 

I'm an end user like you - I'm curious where you've read / were told that Google has any sort of free email at your domain name. 

The only thing that is out there that I've seen - although it isn't recommended

Is to forward mail from email@yourdomain.com to youremail@gmail.com and then setup a send as within gMail - I know that Google has blocked certain things - also this could cause email to get caught by spam filters.

As someone who hosts mail accounts for clients - I can tell you other than hosting email on a cPanel account there are very few services if any that provide free mail accounts. Zoho Mail has a free package for up to 5 accounts but only allows for webmail. 

Most standalone email services cost at minimum $1-$3/month/account depending on who you use.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post