cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed MySQL connection

Hello, I have been using GoDaddy for many years, including MySQL databases. This past Monday I suddenly couldn't update tables anymore, but websites still functioned. A little later I couldn't even access phpMyAdmin, and websites showed error messages.

So I called customer service. After a little digging, I was told that my stuff was moved from one server to another, it shouldn't take more than 24 hours. Ok, I thought, let's wait.

Tuesday, 24 hours later still no changes. Same today, Wednesday. I went to my GoDaddy user account and saw there is a new hostname. So I tried changing my sites sourcecode, but no luck. It still didn't connect. I even downloaded the "Code Sample" from the GoDaddy account page. Changed some variable names and uploaded it to server. Result: even the example code that GoDaddy provided could NOT connect.

"Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to MySQL server on ..."

This is getting very frustrating. Not only did GoDaddy move stuff to another server (as the customer person told me), but it was without notification. And afterwards I am left with websites that do not work.

I would have preferred communication via message, but support doesn't give that option. I also don't have the time to wait on the phone for a long time.

I hope somebody from the company can help with this issue.

8 REPLIES 8
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Failed MySQL connection

Hi @FrustratedUser5. Sorry to hear you've had trouble with your migration. My suggestion would be to double check the connection string for your application. When the database is migrated, your database name, username, and password should all stay the same. However, the hostname you connect to will be different. Hope that helps. If not, feel free to provide more information. Others in the community may be able to provide you with additional suggestions.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

As of today, 3 days after migration started, one website of mine works with the new MySQL hostname. Other websites work with neither old or new hostname. Some websites strangely were unaffected by migration, kept working with old hostname. Could migration still be going on an is happening in pieces?

The test file works under sub directories of the hosting account (f.e. www.hosting.com/pages/abcde/test.php). But with the domains directly (f.e. www.abcde.com/test.php), they do NOT work. In fact, I get a 404 error (page doesn't exist), when the file is "phycically" on the server.

Not sure if it is related but I was wondering if others were seeing mySQL issues.

I am getting messages that look like maybe ports are an issue.

DOException: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] An operation on a socket could not be performed because the system lacked sufficient buffer space or because a queue was full. 

My sites including plesk are becoming unavailable, but only if they are using mysql.

I have been reviewing logs to see if something may be causing it but have not found anything yet.

I thought possibly it was drupal forum post logging but turned that off and it was down again this morning.

It is getting quite frustrating.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@FrustratedUser5 wrote:

The test file works under sub directories of the hosting account (f.e. www.hosting.com/pages/abcde/test.php). But with the domains directly (f.e. www.abcde.com/test.php), they do NOT work. In fact, I get a 404 error (page doesn't exist), when the file is "phycically" on the server.

@FrustratedUser5 - I see. Another thing you'll want to double check is that your domain is pointed toward the IP address of the account (this also changes in a migration), especially if the domain isn't registered in the same account that the hosting is in. In those cases, our system isn't able to automatically update them. Files loading as 404 when you know they're there could be caused by that. Hope that helps.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Community Manager
Community Manager

@webmetoo wrote:

Not sure if it is related but I was wondering if others were seeing mySQL issues.

I am getting messages that look like maybe ports are an issue.

DOException: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] An operation on a socket could not be performed because the system lacked sufficient buffer space or because a queue was full. 

My sites including plesk are becoming unavailable, but only if they are using mysql.

I have been reviewing logs to see if something may be causing it but have not found anything yet.

I thought possibly it was drupal forum post logging but turned that off and it was down again this morning.

It is getting quite frustrating.

Hi @webmetoo. If you're on Plesk, this would be an entirely different situation. It would probably be best to start a new thread with what you mentioned. 

Re: Failed MySQL connection!

@JesseW, I did not ask for migration, GoDaddy just did it. If I would not have noticed the failing mysql requests, I would not even be aware of the issue. If GoDaddy did all that, shouldn't the company take care of changing IP and DNS (and whatever else)?. I am just a "regular Joe", not a tech pro. I should not have to jump through hoops. The least that GoDaddy could have done was to notify me of things that need to be changed, due to GoDaddy's doing. I am stuck with non-working websites. Who knows if search engines dropped my sites by now.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@FrustratedUser5 - I wasn't trying to suggest that GoDaddy wouldn't help you with this. Sorry if it came across that way. However, no one here on the forums would have the necessary access to your account to help with such changes. If you connect with our hosting support team, they should be able to review the situation and help you get things updated.