cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Hosing With GoDaddy When Domain Is With 1and1?

I have a domain registered with 1and1 which I mostly used for email.  I wanted to create a website and found that GoDaddy's hosting was significantly cheaper than 1and1, so I registered with GoDaddy for hosting.  I assumed I'd be able to set up my 1and1 domain to forward to the GoDaddy hosting, but I'm having trouble setting up my hosting on GoDaddy.

In my account I'm going to Hosting -> Configure.  It takes me to a Domains section where it says "No available domains" so I clicked "Enter domain" and typed in the domain I have registered with 1and1.  That seems to go through fine and I'm taken to a page to select my server location and then another to create a cPanel account.  After typing in a username and password for my new cPanel account the Next button stays greyed out.  The username/password information is valid, but it won't let me click Next.

I'm not sure what the issue is but I think it might be with the domain.  I had assumed they'd give you a domain like username.godaddy.com which I could forward my 1and1 domain to, but it's looking like you might have to have a domain registered with GoDaddy for the hosting to work.

Is it possible to set up my GoDaddy hosting if I don't have a domain registered with GoDaddy?  If so how can I do it?

Thanks for your help.

4 REPLIES 4
Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: Hosing With GoDaddy When Domain Is With 1and1?

@Iyonesco wrote:

I have a domain registered with 1and1 which I mostly used for email.  I wanted to create a website and found that GoDaddy's hosting was significantly cheaper than 1and1, so I registered with GoDaddy for hosting.  I assumed I'd be able to set up my 1and1 domain to forward to the GoDaddy hosting, but I'm having trouble setting up my hosting on GoDaddy.

In my account I'm going to Hosting -> Configure.  It takes me to a Domains section where it says "No available domains" so I clicked "Enter domain" and typed in the domain I have registered with 1and1.  That seems to go through fine and I'm taken to a page to select my server location and then another to create a cPanel account.  After typing in a username and password for my new cPanel account the Next button stays greyed out.  The username/password information is valid, but it won't let me click Next.

I'm not sure what the issue is but I think it might be with the domain.  I had assumed they'd give you a domain like username.godaddy.com which I could forward my 1and1 domain to, but it's looking like you might have to have a domain registered with GoDaddy for the hosting to work.

Is it possible to set up my GoDaddy hosting if I don't have a domain registered with GoDaddy?  If so how can I do it?

Thanks for your help.

@Iyonesco You'll want to setup the nameservers or IP for the domain name at 1and1 to Godaddy's hosting nameservers/IP that they give you in your hosting manager. 

---

Okay, thanks.  I think I've solved the problem.

I am having the same problem. I cannot get past the Cpanel setup. The Next button is greyed out. I cannot get anywhere else on my account to find the nameservers.   How do I get to the hosting manager?

How can I do my domain in 1and1 (is already registered in 1and1) just point-it in GoDaddy and leave the MX Rec in 1and1?!