cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

How can I block links from external pages?

How can I block links from external pages? I have several unwanted sites that I don't want to be linked.

3 REPLIES 3
Super User II Super User II
Super User II

Re: How can I block links from external pages?

@AHS

There is no way to stop sites from linking to yours.  The nature of the web is links and we can only control those where we have control of the site/server.

All you can do is email them and kindly ask that they remove your link and hope that they respond.

HTH! 😉

Judith
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Thomas Edison

New

I have also seen links from other sites where I have no interest and wonder if they have a reason for linking to my site.  When I search for my site I don't see any reference to it on any of the suspicious sites.  The number of links from them seems to be constant.

Super User II Super User II
Super User II
Solution

@wbport @AHS

I've run into that too...  Scraping sites has become an automated process that creates websites that are incoherent and don't make sense all in the guise to get ranked and then have their ads clicked on.   If you look at the source code that's where you will many times find your links.  For search engine eyes only.

Linking out to other sites of "value" is one of the hundreds of criteria in a search engine's algorithm.  The weight of which no one can say for sure.  That could be their motive.

The rankings won't happen for those sites, search engines are on to that. Google has pretty much stated site owners should not be concerned or feel the need to disavow and claims to identify crummy sites and treats them accordingly.  Although I wonder sometimes why I see what I see in search!  😉

Judith
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Thomas Edison