• Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted

Be careful with Go Daddy Tech Support

I was having a problem logging into my wordpress account through Go Daddy site to edit my website. It was not loading when I clicked the link to the wordpress site. I called in and the Tech support guy said my site was hacked and that the hackers were redirecting my site to theirs and to fix it I can buy a $200+ security package. This was not the case at all. All I had to do was log into Go Daddy and click the update the PHP version as it was an older version and it worked perfectly fine. I dont know if he was lying to me to get me to buy something I did not need or if he just did not know what he was talking about. Anyway, be careful.

5 REPLIES 5
    Super User III
    Super User III
    Solution

Re: Be careful with Go Daddy Tech Support

Hello there @djskype!

I guess my question would be have you checked your site to determine if it was hacked? Have you looked at your files to determine if there is any sort of PHP injection code? If you're not doing anything to secure your website, especially a WordPress site, there's a good chance that you are hacked and the agent was telling you the correct information.

The update to PHP may have been able to circumvent the hack because it may have been programmed to execute on whatever version of PHP you had. That doesn't mean the infection is gone. 

FYI, if you do have malware on your site and you don't take care of it, Google and every other search engine will eventually flag it, give people a huge warning that you're an attack site, and you'll see any traffic and SEO work you've done disappear.

In other words, just because you don't think the agent was right doesn't mean that the agent wasn't right. You need to check before you end up paying a much bigger price. 

Before you go thinking that someone was trying to scam you, read this article. It's by a guy that knows what he's talking about.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Gotcha! Good to know. I'm not sure what to look for but I went through each page and it all looks the same and nothing is different then before. I'm read that article and go over it and the website. Thanks for the info

Hello @MrVapor,

According to GoDaddy and Google, my site is hacked. I had an e-mail saying it was flagged for malware. It is a WordPress site.

You mentioned below looking at files. I assume by this you mean the ability to check files yourself, and then to possibly remove them, yourself?

Can I ask if this is done via GoDaddy or via WP Admin? I also read the article you recommended, and I appreciate the importance of paying for good security, but as I have not used or gained anything from my site yet, I have nothing to lose by trying to remedy the problems manually.

Regards,

Adam

@MrVapor wrote:

Hello there @djskype!

I guess my question would be have you checked your site to determine if it was hacked? Have you looked at your files to determine if there is any sort of PHP injection code?

Super User III
    Super User III

Hey there @adamsimpson,

You would need to either access the site via File Manager if you have cPanel or via FTP. At that point, you would need to be very familiar with the WordPress file structure and how to determine if any of the code in the files is malicious in nature. Once you've identified all the files that may be infected (this may take a while as a standard WordPress installation has thousands of files), you can simply delete the bad apples.

That's not really a good idea though as you're going to miss something and the site will become infected once again.

If you really have nothing to lose and no clean backup, I'd nuke it and start over.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Hello MrVapour.

Thank you for the advice. It all sounds a bit daunting really. I just want to see how far I can get alone, and when I reach the point of a brick wall, then I'll have to pay. I don't really want to scrap my site if I can help it.

I assume this FTP thing is accessed through my WP Admin?

Regards,

Adam