• Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    New

Can't upload a media file

I get this error "Unexpected response from the server. The file may have been uploaded successfully. Check in the Media Library or reload the page." I've tried Chrome and Edge, cleared cache. Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
    Super User II Super User II
    Super User II

I typically see upload errors when there is a file or directory permission issue @va3slj. I can't imagine that using Managed WordPress you would be running into this? Since you are using Managed WordPress you should contact support to handle this as it is unlikely that you can correct this in your own. It could be as simple as file size or type but it could be something more. At any rate a GoDaddy representative will be able to have a look at this and go from there.

One thing I suggest is that anyone calling into support pay attention to the prompts and select accordingly. I know I'm tempted to go through quick and just press zero or something. Know that listening to the prompts and selecting the appropriate choices for the issue you are calling about is the difference between getting your call answered by someone on the Managed WordPress team who can quickly address your issue or getting someone in billing who has little clue what your issue is. I hope that helps? Please come back and let us know how this was resolved.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

thanks--I know it shouldn't be like this, but we today I uploaded two mp3s but nothing will upload  after that.

Super User II Super User II
    Super User II

Typically I could offer assistance with how to Troubleshoot a media upload error in WordPress. Here @va3slj assuming you are using Managed WordPress you will not have as much access to troubleshoot as a stand alone install would have. Managed WordPress is designed so that the user will not have to handle issues on their own.

I know that WordPress allows for media file types but in your case I am not sure what sizes of files are allowed or if for types such as .mp3 are allowed at all. My suggestion remains to take advantage of the Managed WordPress support and have then help with your issue. They are literally there to handle issues like this. I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Thanks for the response!

I've been using managed Wordpress through GoDaddy for several years, and it has always worked until it didn't.

The Mp3s I'm trying to upload are all under 50mb, and 100 is the file size limit. So far, GoDaddy has told me I have a problem, or they tweak something on their end and it works for a short while.

I'm trying online support again today. I may soon have to educate myself enough to do a stand-alone Wordpress install on another server. Since being with GoDaddy I've found its service declining in other ways too.

Advocate VII

Hi @va3slj ,

Is you file an svg image by chance? WP does not upload these types of files by default (yet).  If you are trying to upload one, you may get any number of "unexpected messages".    If you are using svg images reference this discussion in the community to get some details and insight into using svg's.

https://pk.godaddy.com/community/Using-WordPress/What-are-the-steps-to-be-able-to-use-SVG-files-in-a...

Just a thought!

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites