cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Increasing File Size on Managed WordPress Site

I downloaded Filezilla

I got in to my sftp

There is NO file that says php.ini NOW WHAT!!!!????!!!!

1 REPLY 1
    Super User III
    Super User III
    Solution

Re: Increasing File Size on Managed WordPress Site

Hey there @msjenniferpink,

If you use cPanel, go to the Files section and click on the File Manager button or log in via FTP. Make sure the checkbox for Show Hidden Files (if using File Manager) is checked and then click Go. Files should not be hidden if you FTP into the server.

Select your wp-admin folder and find a file called php.ini or php5.ini. If you don’t see it, create one by clicking the New File button in the top left-hand corner. Name the file php.ini and click the Create File button on the pop-up.

If you follow these instructions and it still doesn’t work, try renaming the file to php5.ini. Once the file is open, add or edit the following lines and then save and close.

upload_max_filesize = 1000M
    post_max_size = 2000M
    memory_limit = 3000M
    file_uploads = On
    max_execution_time = 180

The M means megabytes. Change the 1000M, 2000M and 3000M limit to the value with which you feel most comfortable. Changing the value of max_execution_time will limit the amount of time spent loading a script in seconds.

In many cases, the values you enter should get larger as you go down the list from lines one to three. The upload_max_filesize should be the smallest while memory_limit should be the largest. The median should be post_max_size.

Before checking to see if the error is gone, clear your browser’s cache.

Editing Your .htaccess File

If that addition to your php.ini file doesn’t do the trick, try editing your .htaccess file and add or edit the following code at the very bottom:

php_value upload_max_filesize 1000M
    php_value post_max_size 2000M
    php_value memory_limit 3000M
    php_value max_execution_time 180
    php_value max_input_time 180

Editing this code is similar to your php.ini file. Change the values to limits that best suit your needs. Don’t forget to save when you’re done and clear the cache for your browser.

Amending Your wp-config.php File

If both of these are a no-go, try editing your wp-config.php file, adding the following to the very bottom, but just before the “happy blogging” line:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '3000M');

Save the file and clear your browser’s cache.

That should get you to where you want to be.

Best Regards,

Joe

Check out my site! | My Garage Articles | Portfolio/Resume

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT PROVIDE ANSWERS VIA PM. If you would like personalized help, you can see my pricing on my services page. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!

Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community