Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Product Team
    Product Team

Re: Newer version of PHP?

Hey folks.

Correct, cPanel and Managed WordPress are expected to get PHP7 this year.  To the person who mentioned cPanel would get it in Q4, that sounds right.  Managed WordPress should be getting PHP 7 earlier along with other bonuses like free SSL, new architecture (fully containerized environment for performance), etc. and some other surprises.  For our older shared Hosting platform PHP 5.6 is in progress and PHP 7 is on the roadmap.

Hope this helps,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
    Head of WordPress, GoDaddy

I still do not see PHP 5.6 in my account, why is that?

Product Team
    Product Team

@athenasoft It's available on our Managed WordPress (automatic) and cPanel (select in your control panel) platforms.  However if you're on our older shared hosting products it's still in the works.  You can either wait for it or upgrade to one of the newer shared hosting products (pricing is similar).

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays

Gabe can we push our sites into a beta test or early adopter program? I'd be willing to work with your engineers/dev team to test my site on PHP7.

I tried the Managed WordPress for a while and it was okay. The biggest complaint was I didn't think the GoDaddy caching plugin was very good. I would have much rather have used W3 Total Cache or WP Super Cache and have the additional flexibility of the options those plugins provide. But you block those under Managed WordPress. This in turn makes it difficult to achieve a better rating with YSlow, GTMetrix, Google PageSpeed, etc. 

Product Team
    Product Team

@moocows Good questions and thanks for the offer to help.  We're doing a closed beta with a segment of customers in the GoDaddy Pro program who've opted in at events and other channels.  To keep this thread on topic, please PM me or start a new thread and we can let you know if there's additional availability for the beta.  Also, check out the Pro program if you haven't already.

Thanks

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
    Product Team
    Product Team

An update for @athenasoft and other folks: PHP 5.6 is now available to upgrade to on all of our shared Hosting platforms.  It was previously available on cPanel and Managed WordPress, but not the other shared Hosting products.  PHP7 is now in work for cPanel and Managed WordPress.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays

We just checked our Godaddy Cpanel Shared hosting and PHP 7.1 is now available... has anyone else noticed this?

We've been waiting for way too long now, not sure if its true...

Product Team
    Product Team

@chippy@TCB-Designer@moocows@athenasoft

Exciting news to all GoDaddy cPanel users. Your account is now updated with the latest PHP 7.0 and 7.1! If you want to update, login to your cPanel dashboard. Then under the Software heading click “Select PHP version”. In the top left of the PHP selection page use the dropdown the PHP version you want and click set as current. You are now ready to go! But a heads-up before you update, I recommend you check you site for compatibility first. If you have any questions our customer support team is happy to help 24/7. Just call (480) 505-8877.

- Paul Seguritan, Product Manager

Many thanks Paul!! I see the option and have selected 7.1.

My WordPress and all plugins are at the latest level. Not seeing any display issues with the site. Everything working as expected so far. Continuing to test but all initial results look great.

Hi All!

I noticed yesterday that ph 7 and 7.1 became available on my cpanel shared hosting. I couldn't believe my eyes XD...

If you're using salt on passwords, it is time to drop (it is deprecated in php7 I figured). Apart from that I could switch without any issues. How are you guys getting on?

New

Will Classic Linux Hosting accounts be upgraded to 7/7.1?

New

HI!

I just talked to support. I'd like to upgrade my Managed Word Press hosted sites to 7.0 but I'm told it's not an option.

Is it available?

Thanks,

Steph

Helper II
    Helper II

@Gabe wrote:

An update for @athenasoft and other folks: PHP 5.6 is now available to upgrade to on all of our shared Hosting platforms.  It was previously available on cPanel and Managed WordPress, but not the other shared Hosting products.  PHP7 is now in work for cPanel and Managed WordPress.

Thanks,

Gabe

Hi Gabe - Looks like you're the GD Community Guinea Pig for those who are complaining about PHP 7. So, if you don't mind, here's our input:

Since January 2017, we've been hearing (or reading) from your team -- including yourself -- that PHP 7 is in work for Managed WordPress and will be released in a couple of months. Please share with us - specifically - when is PHP 7 going to be released for Managed WordPress customers? We assume GD has a plan and a plan provides a release date. 4Q17 is a soft date. I'm sure GD can do better than that! BTW, Managed WordPress does not have a cPanel at the back-end so there is no way to upgrade to PHP 7.

Please don't disappoint further your customers. We have other hosting companies lined-up if no hope provided by GD within the next 2 weeks.

Sidenote: Don't you find it embarrassing that GoDaddy is at the bottom of the totem pole on this subject? Click here: Web Hosting Company Highest PHP Versions as of July 2017. Also, any efforts in trying to make WordPress.org's preferred list of hosting companies? Click here: Preferred WordPress Web Hosting Companies.

Thanks for your patience, and hopefully, you'll read this and reply accordingly.

I'd hate to dredge up an old thread, but I'm not seeing 5.6 as an option on my shared hosting server. The only option given is 5.3. Thoughts?

Product Team
    Product Team

Hi @CXLeader

Sorry for the late reply, I found this post notification in my junk folder.  If you want PHP 7+ on Managed WordPress, then check out our new Pro Managed WordPress platform: https://www.godaddy.com/hosting/pro-wordpress-hosting

It runs PHP 7.1, includes free SSL, runs in a containerized environment, includes a free GravityForms license, has a dedicated WordPress support team and more.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
    Product Team
    Product Team

Hi @djmaskell you're probably on an older Hosting product.  Our cPanel Hosting has support for multiple versions of PHP including PHP 7.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays

@GabeThank you for getting back to me. Just to be clear, when you're referring to "cPanel Hosting", you are referring to the current offering of basic shared hosting plans, correct?

i.e. https://www.godaddy.com/hosting/web-hosting

(and yes, you are correct, it appears that I'm on the "classic" hosting. Somehow I must have missed the memo when the product passed End Of Life.)

Helper II
    Helper II

Hi @Gabe,

Glad you found the note. Your reply suggests we need to upgrade our current Managed WordPress Hosting plan in order to obtain PHP 7.X. That's not what your previous community comment indicated. Click here: https://tinyurl.com/gdphp7

We're paying MORE than the Basic Hosting Plan ($3.99/mo) which offers PHP 7.x as a new item! Click here: https://tinyurl.com/gdbasicphp7

Why aren't your loyal Managed (Shared) WordPress customers being offered the same? Come on, Gabe. Flip the switch and give us more speed 🙂

Hey Gabe,

Glad to finally have PHP 7.1 on shared. Many thanks!!

Next question. I am hearing from support that HTTP/2 (ALPN) isn't available in shared hosting yet. Any word when this  may become available?

Helper II
    Helper II

@moocows:

It’s definitely not available on the Basic nor Deluxe Managed WordPress Plans.

Waiting for good news for these plan holders from @Gabe.
    Product Team
    Product Team

@djmaskell Yes that's correct.  Sorry for the late reply, these notifications sometimes go to my junk box.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
    Product Team
    Product Team

@CXLeader  Hello.  Sorry for the late reply, these notifications sometimes go to my junk box.

The new Managed WordPress product with PHP7, free SSL, etc. is a new, separate platform.  We looked into auto migrating customers, but there are still a lot of PHP 7 compatibility issues with plugins and themes breaking sites, so we probably won't do that for a while.

However, if you wish to upgrade we do offer prorated refunds so you don't love any money to switch.  Just call support and they'll take care of you.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
    Product Team
    Product Team

Hi @moocows Sorry for the late reply, these notifications sometimes go to my junk box.

The new Managed WordPress platform supports HTTP/2.  I'm unsure about the basic shared hosting.  I recommend asking in that forum so the product team can reply.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
    Helper II
    Helper II

Hello Great Gabe, please take a look at this post here:  https://uk.godaddy.com/community/cPanel-Hosting/PHP-7-1-X-Difference-between-Business-hosting-and-Sh...

Why we have this big difference in patch existing version of php on business hosting? Thank you and happy new year Gabe!

Product Team
    Product Team

Hi @skynet love your username 😉

I don't manage those products, so I couldn't say--I'm only on our WordPress products.  However, I can say that web hosting and business hosting are different platforms, which may explain the variation.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
    Helper I
    Helper I

@Gabe is there an ETA on upgrading all managed wordpress plans to PHP 7? I called in to support and they were suggesting I ditch managed wordpress because of this. What gives? I put a lot of effort into migrating my customers sites over to managed wordpress and I'm feeling very let down.

Product Team
    Product Team

@abuzzelli I know this is LONG overdue, but you can expect PHP7 in the next 2-4 weeks as we roll it out.  It'll appear as a switch in your Hosting dashboard that lets you switch between PHP 56, 7.0, 7.1 and 7.2.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
    Highlighted
    Product Team
    Product Team
    Solution

An update: PHP 7.2 is now available on all Managed WordPress sites.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
    Helper II
    Helper II

Hi @Gabe

Thanks for the update.

As of September 28, 2018, PHP 7.0, 7.1, nor 7.2 was not available for customers like us on the Managed WordPress Shared Hosting Plan (Deluxe).

We waited, and waited, and waited for the upgrade to PHP 7.X so we had no other recourse than to migrate some of our products to another hosting company. Wish we had done this sooner. For less than what we were paying GD, we're getting not only PHP 7.2.1 with our new hosting company, but many other features that GD currently doesn't offer. Customer Support is spectacular as well. Issues are usually resolved in less than 24 hours via phone, chat, or ticket.

Cheers!

Product Team
    Product Team

Hi @CXLeader Sorry it took so long and I understand your decision.  I'm happy that you found something that meets your needs.  I'm happy to say that progress will be much faster in the future.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays