cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Advocate VII

Scaling limits on managed wordpress

Hi All,

Just wanted to open a discussion about the scaling on a GoDaddy  managed wordpress site, particularly the ecommerce package.

This is somewhat theoretical but it is something I'm wondering.  My site (ecommerce wp platform) is basically setup to support getting traffic into my brick-and-mortar store.  We have switched the emphasis and are now adding a new updated shopping online presentation.  We'll be adding a couple of thousand more items to the cart, more automated followups, bookings, subscriptions, and memberships.  Yep, its a ton of stuff going on now that we try to emulate our in-store services/experience.

Since we've started the shift to improved shopping, we have seen an increase in traffic and significantly the time spent on the site.  Are there any GoDaddy tools in place that help me monitor the resource useage (other than disk space) on my container?  What are the triggers for scaling?

Just considerations as I'm growing the site.

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites
    1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Advocate VII

Hi All,

Quick update on this post.  I've reached a limit.  After making updates to my site, here's what the error message from Cloudflare.

If you're the owner of this website:

The connection to the origin web server was made, but the origin web server timed out before responding. The likely cause is an overloaded background task, database or application, stressing the resources on your web server. To resolve, please work with your hosting provider or web development team to free up resources for your database or overloaded application.

What' s breaking on my end?  Quick setup overview, using ecommerce managed wordpress plan.  It is plugin heavy.  Was working fine on a typical ecom setup with a few pages/blog connected to a cart presentation.  Added Zoom meetings and a Modern Tribe calendar, and scheduled automated import/export via Cron.   --  Number of API, script calls, and Cron job executions significantly increase by adding automation.   

Conclusion -- Don't do both marketing and catalog/cart presentation on the same server with this config.  I'm fortunate that I have .com, .net, and .shop versions of my domain name.  Now that I have some ideas on capacity levels, I know my .com can handle the marketing/support side of things.  I'm going to migrate the catalog/fulfillment presentation to the .net domain.  

Yes, it does cost more.  Here's my reasoning.  Where else can you get the level of server resources and Woo setup for roughly 60/month?  Also, it creates a "division of labor" in that I can now assign specific tasks to my team members with specific skills.  For example, our spreadsheet team member goes with the .Net.  Our Hubspot marketing team member to the .Net.  My job -- make sure they communicate.  In this case meaning our team members and our sites!

Hope this helps!

James

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
    Advocate VII

Hi All,

Quick update on this post.  I've reached a limit.  After making updates to my site, here's what the error message from Cloudflare.

If you're the owner of this website:

The connection to the origin web server was made, but the origin web server timed out before responding. The likely cause is an overloaded background task, database or application, stressing the resources on your web server. To resolve, please work with your hosting provider or web development team to free up resources for your database or overloaded application.

What' s breaking on my end?  Quick setup overview, using ecommerce managed wordpress plan.  It is plugin heavy.  Was working fine on a typical ecom setup with a few pages/blog connected to a cart presentation.  Added Zoom meetings and a Modern Tribe calendar, and scheduled automated import/export via Cron.   --  Number of API, script calls, and Cron job executions significantly increase by adding automation.   

Conclusion -- Don't do both marketing and catalog/cart presentation on the same server with this config.  I'm fortunate that I have .com, .net, and .shop versions of my domain name.  Now that I have some ideas on capacity levels, I know my .com can handle the marketing/support side of things.  I'm going to migrate the catalog/fulfillment presentation to the .net domain.  

Yes, it does cost more.  Here's my reasoning.  Where else can you get the level of server resources and Woo setup for roughly 60/month?  Also, it creates a "division of labor" in that I can now assign specific tasks to my team members with specific skills.  For example, our spreadsheet team member goes with the .Net.  Our Hubspot marketing team member to the .Net.  My job -- make sure they communicate.  In this case meaning our team members and our sites!

Hope this helps!

James

View solution in original post