• Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Staging site questions using WordPress

I've set up a "staging" version of my Wordpress blog according to the instructions.  It is up and running and I have been able to successfully use it.  Questions:

• I have made a couple of new post entries on my PRODUCTION site.  However these new posts are not showing up on the "staging" site.  Why is that?  Is there a separate MySql database for the staging site?
    • Suppose you migrate the "staging" site to PROD, will the posts showing for the staging site override PRODUCTION?  In other words, based on the prior question, will I loose the "new" posts in the PROD version?
    • How do delete the "staging" version?  Is there as way to remove it completely and start over again?

3 REPLIES 3
    Employee
    Employee

Re: Staging site questions...

Hi @RedRock14!

Thank you for posting! Everything you do within staging needs to be pushed to your production site manually. It will not happen automatically. The same goes for production to staging. Here's our guide on staging environments

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support
    New

Lol. @Heather, that is not what @RedRock14 asked, at all.

Highlighted
    Community Manager
    Community Manager
    Solution

Hi @CTLeon. To answer @RedRock14's questions

I have made a couple of new post entries on my PRODUCTION site.  However these new posts are not showing up on the "staging" site.  Why is that?  Is there a separate MySql database for the staging site?

• There are synchronization options for Managed WordPress accounts, but they are all manual. Each staging site is completely separate from it's associated production site. They do not share a database. If you want to pull your content from production to staging at any time, you may do so. 

Suppose you migrate the "staging" site to PROD, will the posts showing for the staging site override PRODUCTION?  In other words, based on the prior question, will I loose the "new" posts in the PROD version?

• This depends on which option you chose when pushing your staging site to production. For more information, please see this post

How do delete the "staging" version?  Is there as way to remove it completely and start over again?

• Yes. On the page where you manage the staging environment, you just need to click the dot menu to the right of the Sync Options button. You'll have the option to remove the staging site, which will completely remove it. MWP Remove staging.png

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.