• GoDaddy Community
  • Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

WP with domain registered somewhere else?

Hi,

I own the domain joplast.dk which is not registered with godaddy.com. And I have a WordPress site hosted with godaddy.

Now I need to get my domain to point to the hosted WP site, I have already changed the DNS settings with my registrar, this almost worked. http://www.joplast.dk/ now redirects to the WP instace, but it also changes the URL, to the temporary one used for hosting the page.

How do i get it to always display the URL of my domain?

I tried clicking Change Domain in the godaddy control panel, but since the domain is hosted else where i can't add it.

If I open Domains from the control panel, joplast is there, and it is listed as "is up and running.". Do i need to change the DNS there?

4 REPLIES 4
    Super User II

@szklanym  

Does the WordPress dashboard in Settings > General reflect the temp domain name?  If that displays the temporary URL, and your domain is pulling the site but switching to the temp., changing to your URL in the WordPress Address (URL) and Site Address (URL) fields should do the trick.

HTH! 😉

Judith
    "I never lose. Either I win or I learn." ~ Me

@Muse

I tried that aswell, sadly i can't change that setting in the WP admin panel. Godaddy has locked that setting down, it can only be changed from the godaddy WP settings area, but there i can't change it to my domain, since it's not registered with godaddy 😞

@szklanym   

Then it has to be a DNS issue.  Make sure the two DNS nameservers for GoDaddy are correctly entered in your Registrar.  Also check that there are no A or CNAME records on your domain's DNS pointing to another IP.

Once you are sure the DNS is abosultely correct, you should call GoDaddy for assistance.  The fact that you do not use GoDaddy as a Registrar has nothing to do with what you can or can't do.  It's all about the DNS.

HTH!  😉

Judith
    "I never lose. Either I win or I learn." ~ Me

@Muse

I changed the DNS yesterday, and after the changed took effect joplast.dk redirected to the temp site, but like i said also changed to URL upon loading the site. So the DNS settings seem to be correct, but the WP settings need to be changed aswell.

But yeah i'll probably have to call support to get this solved then.