• Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    New

trying to link to a file stored on site

I've built a members-only site and want to link to some files stored there using the text editor. I stored the files in a directory I built under wp-content/uploads. I think the correct URL would be /home/USER/html/wp-content/uploads/dir-name/file-name.pdf , but that is returning a 404 error. If I use a URL with a path to a different website containing the file, it works fine. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Bill O'H

2 REPLIES 2
    Employee
    Employee

Re: trying to link to a file stored on site

@billoh 

Hello Bill!

Thank you for posting. To link to a specific file, you'd need to include the full path to that file. You'd need the domain in the path. 

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support
    New
    Solution

Re: trying to link to a file stored on site

Hi Heather

Thanks for responding. I did try that, but it still failed. If I just pasted the link I had saved into a new browser window, it would work. But I would still get a 404 failure from within the page where I had the link embedded.

But, with a big shout-out to Austin in tech support, I found that I was making it too complex. Instead of adding a directory and files via SFTP and then trying to link to them, I could just add files individually using the add Media button. This is working fine and meets my needs. Not sure why I hadn't tried it earlier. 

Bill O'H