cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Backorder

Called a minimum of 5 times to Godaddy agents to be sure about a domain I placed a backorder for. They all confirmed that placing a backorder would never lead to an auction. The first person to place the backorder on the domain would acquire the domain.

Still, I got an email today from Godaddy saying that the domain is being auctioned??

Called them and they don't want to do anything to help me fix the issue.

They charged me approximately €30,- for the backorder and apparently it means nothing?! So what did I buy? Just air? Just a way of earning easy money. They probably have seen that the value of the domain is high and that's why they decided to put it to auction. 

It is also obvious that I am the only one with the backorder, since there is only 1 bid of $10 on the domain which is generated automatically by GoDaddy. But even if there would have been more backorders on this domain, according to the information given by GoDaddy agents THE FIRST BACKORDER would get the domain.

Moreover, the customer support team was supposed to call me back about the issue and they NEVER DID. Not happy at all with the service at GoDaddy. Bought nearly 10 domains on this website, definitely transferring them.

Customer nr: 295406184

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Community Manager

Hi saladekom,

I'm sorry to hear that, and I can completely understand why you are not happy with the service. I will make sure our Care team knows there's an opportunity to improve consistency & accuracy with regards to information around our backorder process.

In the interest of clearing up some of the misinformation, this is our best resource for domain backorder information: Domain Backorder and Monitoring FAQ.

Since you're in the situation where multiple backorders were placed, and the domain has gone to auction, I'd like to add that not all backorder holders may choose to bid on the domain, or they may not place a bid right away. If you still want the domain, I would recommend going through with the bidding process. 

What's the point of a backorder if it's not exclusive?

1. Not all domains have multiple backorders. If you're the only one to backorder a domain, then it does become yours after going through the expiration process. This is the best case scenario.
  2. If there are multiple backorders, you get notified when it goes to auction. That gives you and the other backorder holders a better chance of getting the domain. Not as ideal as a holding the only backorder, but still advantageous. 
  3. It comes with daily monitoring, so you always know what's happening with the domain and when its status changes.
  4. If your backorder isn't successful, you can re-assign it to a different domain. 

I hope you're successful at auction if you choose to pursue that route. Either way, I appreciate you leaving feedback for us. 

Angela B - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

Super User III

It is a monitoring service.  If the bid wins the auction that would use up the credit.  If you're unable to acquire the domain your credit would still be active to continue monitoring the domain if it expires again or you could switch the credit to a different domain.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/does-domain-backorders-guarantee-domain-name-registration-600?

2 REPLIES 2
Community Manager

Hi saladekom,

I'm sorry to hear that, and I can completely understand why you are not happy with the service. I will make sure our Care team knows there's an opportunity to improve consistency & accuracy with regards to information around our backorder process.

In the interest of clearing up some of the misinformation, this is our best resource for domain backorder information: Domain Backorder and Monitoring FAQ.

Since you're in the situation where multiple backorders were placed, and the domain has gone to auction, I'd like to add that not all backorder holders may choose to bid on the domain, or they may not place a bid right away. If you still want the domain, I would recommend going through with the bidding process. 

What's the point of a backorder if it's not exclusive?

1. Not all domains have multiple backorders. If you're the only one to backorder a domain, then it does become yours after going through the expiration process. This is the best case scenario.
  2. If there are multiple backorders, you get notified when it goes to auction. That gives you and the other backorder holders a better chance of getting the domain. Not as ideal as a holding the only backorder, but still advantageous. 
  3. It comes with daily monitoring, so you always know what's happening with the domain and when its status changes.
  4. If your backorder isn't successful, you can re-assign it to a different domain. 

I hope you're successful at auction if you choose to pursue that route. Either way, I appreciate you leaving feedback for us. 

Angela B - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Super User III

It is a monitoring service.  If the bid wins the auction that would use up the credit.  If you're unable to acquire the domain your credit would still be active to continue monitoring the domain if it expires again or you could switch the credit to a different domain.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/does-domain-backorders-guarantee-domain-name-registration-600?