cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Getting Started

DNS settings for picture library

Hi

Thankyou in advance for any help you can give.

What I wish to achieve is the following, my primary domain is registred with GoDaddy but my ecomerce site is hosted by Shopify. With my webspace I want to have a picture server for prouduct uploads to shopify and other channels. I can easily enough upload my pix to the server using Filezilla. However what I can't do is access those pix with a http url which I need to be abled to do. I know it is doable as I did exactly that on my old host (which was cPanel based). I was able to access my pix with an url that started with the ip adress which shows up when you get the url from filezilla. (e.g ftp://y7fbtf54eews@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/public_html/pix/Swarovski/categories/1028.jpg)

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is an ip address.

On my old host I could access tis file with the url 

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/pix/Swarovski/categories/1028.jpg

However this doesn't work, (404 error some various on this have also ran into cloudfare)

I am fairly certain I can achieve wht I want with some changes to DNS records (or possibly creating a sub domain?) however all attempts at suport from GoDaddy have ended in disaster (including an agent changing DNS records leading to my ecomerce site being taken down). I don't really mind how it is achived I just want a path based url to my pix, I am the only person who needs to access them so as long as the url is predictable it can be as ugly you like. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Ontopofmalvern,

Welcome to the Community!

A GoDaddy hosting plan is not able to be used for a repository of file data. And if you are on a shared hosting plan it can't be reached online in a browser by using the IP address that is shared by others on that server. 

That said, You can create a subdomain (such as pics.mydomain.com) and direct it to the website within a folder on a GoDaddy hosting plan. You would need to create the website through HTML (or a preferred application) and direct to certain pages where you are referencing the pictures to view through that URL. You can upload your content through FTP to complete that website. You can direct the domain - or a subdomain, such as shop.mydomain.com - to the Shopify plan.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @Ontopofmalvern,

Welcome to the Community!

A GoDaddy hosting plan is not able to be used for a repository of file data. And if you are on a shared hosting plan it can't be reached online in a browser by using the IP address that is shared by others on that server. 

That said, You can create a subdomain (such as pics.mydomain.com) and direct it to the website within a folder on a GoDaddy hosting plan. You would need to create the website through HTML (or a preferred application) and direct to certain pages where you are referencing the pictures to view through that URL. You can upload your content through FTP to complete that website. You can direct the domain - or a subdomain, such as shop.mydomain.com - to the Shopify plan.

View solution in original post

Thany-you for your reply. I have to say somewhat disappointed with the many contradictory (and in one case damaging) responses I have had from GoDaddy support. Is there a rationale to why this plan cannot be used as a repository for file data?

Okay trying to implement your suggestion but I can't seem to get the sub domain to load my html page. What I have done is create an 'index.html' page and placed it in 'public_html' folder, (for good measue I have created a folder called 'pix' where I have put a copy of 'index.html'. I have created a DNS A record.

A                pix                            cPanel IP address

by my reconning when I go to    pix.mydomain.com    I should see my index.html page, what I get is an offer to log in to cPanel - what am I missing?

Hi @Ontopofmalvern,

While you haven't provided the real domain, is the subdomain pix.mydomain.com the primary domain on the hosting plan?

If you have an Economy plan, and you are using the IP address in the "pix" A Record to "point" to the server, the subdomain needs to be the primary domain on that plan. There are no sub-folders available on an economy plan. (It's a one-website hosting.)

If you have a deluxe plan or above, the primary domain can be the domain name only (mydomain.com). You can then create that folder of either "pix", or by another name you assign it to in the Addon Domains screen, and place your index file there.