cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Delegate Sub-Domain with Name Server records

Hello All,

Hope someone can help me understand GoDaddy in reference to delegating sub-domain(s).

For the scenario: I want to create and delegate control of a subdomain to a third-party. The third-party has provided 2 name server records to get this done, they will add the other DNS records as required for themselves.

For this example, say the primary domain registered with GoDaddy is "example.com.au". I want to create and delegate the subdomain of "sub.example.com.au" to the third party. How would I go about doing this?

I have received conflicting information on this subject, some say it should be easy to just put in the records:

Type: Nameserver, Host: sub.example.com.au, Points to: ns2-au.thirdparty.com

Type: Nameserver, Host: sub.example.com.au, Points to: ns3-au.thirdparty.com

And others say that it cannot be managed by GoDaddy, or need a Virtual Private Server.

Could anyone help highlight a correct solution, as the sub-domain MUST be delegated. Thanks.

If more information is required, let me know.

5 REPLIES 5
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: Delegate Sub-Domain with Name Server records

Hi @B-Support. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! 

If you want to point a specific subdomain toward custom nameservers, you would want to set up nameserver records like this:
Type: Nameserver

Host: sub

Points to: ns2-au.thirdparty.com

This would make it so that the sub.example.com.au would be pointed toward the custom nameservers you define. There isn't a way to make all subdomains resolve to 3rd party nameservers though. You can't set up a wildcard host for this type of record. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Hello JesseW,

Thank you for your response. I am only looking to create a single subdomain and delegate it, not all subdomains.

Can you confirm your suggested record to use will work with GoDaddy? And will not effect the primary domain or its forwarding?

Only reason I would like the confirmation from someone, is due to the conflicting information I get (even from GoDaddy Support).

Community Manager
Community Manager

@B-Support - I can confirm that if you set your nameserver records for your subdomain as I explained, it won't affect the nameservers for your naked domain. I was able to do this with a test domain and the nameservers reported for the subdomain were different from that of the naked domain. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

Hi JesseW - I am trying to do this as well. However, when I enter my subdomain's name ("sub" in your example), in the host field it doesn't let me save the settings and returns an error saying I can't save it.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community, @td_rt. I'm not sure why you would be seeing an error. My first guess would be that it's an issue specific to the type of domain you're using. Some domains have special requirements when it comes to nameservers. If you'd like to share the domain in question, that may help others offer further suggestions.