Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Re: Domain forwarding path being lost?

Does the feature work for subdomains?

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Kingdju - It should. However, it won't work for the WWW subdomain specifically if the naked domain isn't' using the forwarding service. With the current configuration, WWW is always going to forward to the same location that the "naked" domain is using. For example, if domain1.com is forwarded to domain2.com, entering www.domain1.com/any-path will take you to domain2.com/any-path. However, if domain1.com is not using forwarding, entering www.domain1.com/any-path will just take you to the shortener.godaddy.com URL. There is another thread about this here that I'll probably update on if there are any changes since it's somewhat of a separate issue. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

It's not working for me and I am just forwarding the domain. How do I fix this?

I will say it does work sometimes but not all the time.

localsolarhub.com is the URL

New

JesseM, before I move to another Webhoster I like to know if Godaddy has intentions to change it within few weeks in a manner how it was working months ago for me:  www.callmenow.chat/1stotheros/os.html  was a working link inside my website and callmenow.chat was a  URL forwarded with masking to : www.allgamekeys.net/diverse/cmnweb/1stotheros/os.html . Currently it will show only the index file (html or php). I am unable to call any other file then the index (long URL with subfolders are not supported). Many links in my php webpages are not working anymore and honestly spoken I am really angry about the way how Godaddy is treating their customers. Godaddy is changing something with big impact and we customers are not worth to get a notification. Even Godaddy support in USA are not informed or are pretending that. I am a customer since years and I never had  intentions to move to competitors although their are cheaper Webhosters and domain registrars on the market. Now I am really annoyed. Will Godaddy change it with the forwarding how it was in the past (months ago) or not? I either have to wait or to leave Godaddy for hosting asap. I bought about 30 domains which are forwarded to specific subfolders (websites). The htaccess workaround is not a solution for me. The whole situation is a nightmare. Even the wisdom "never touch a working system" comes from USA; then behave like that because I don't see any improvements in your changes only money making. But when people becomes too greedy, its mostly the beginning of a fall. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @gerd. I'm not sure I fully understand how your links are set up, so let me explain what works, what doesn't, and what we'll be fixing. 

As of right now, domain forwarding with path matching works when the target URL does not include a path. For example, domain1.com is forwarded to domain2.com. If you enter domain1.com/path, the system will now take you to domain2.com/path. However, if domain1.com is forwarded to domain2.com/path-2, any path included with domain1.com isn't passed on. As far as I know, there is no plan to change this behavior. 

As for the WWW subdomain specifically, this will work the same as above as long as it's not forwarded to something different (as a forwarded subdomain). The WWW subdomain/host will always direct to the same URL that the domain is forwarded to. The inability to use WWW as a forwarded subdomain is something our developers are aware of and will address in a future update. However, I don't have a timeframe for when that will happen. If I have an update on that, I will post it on the thread linked here.

Obviously, we'd hate to see you go, but that is where the situation stands currently. Hopefully, that helps you make your decision. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

Hi JesseW, thanks for your fast response. Maybe my explanation was not the best. Let me try to explain what was working in the past and what I like to see again: 

a) the domain www.callmenow.chat was forwarded with masking to: www.allgamekeys.net/diverse/cmnweb  (meanwhile I removed the masking)

b) inside the php code of the index.php in  /cmnweb  there is a link (within the popup window "Other OS") which should lead the user to:  www.callmenow.chat/1stotheros/os.html  (meanwhile I also changed this link into the real address, because of the problems I fight with since Godaddy made changes). This link is not working anymore because the website user gets always to see the index.php in /cmnweb, they will never see anymore the page with the different OS-versions of the app. 

Godaddy has no intentions/plans to change it back? 

I have over 20 domains for 20 different homepages and have no intentions to pay for separate hosting plans (for each website).  If there would be any solution/workaround, what I have to do?

Thanks in advance for any response in this matter. 

GoDaddy simply ***DESTROYED*** this feature?!? I had been using this for six or eight years and it worked flawlessly. Hundreds of pages have been carefully set up to link to subdirectories and subpages of my forwarded GoDaddy domain so I could easily change my host without affecting the addresses and you (your people at GoDaddy) have simply ***DESTROYED*** this feature without any advance notice?!? You are doing a ***HUGE*** disservice to your clients. I will move my domains ASAP to a more reliable provider. Very unhappy!

New

@JesseW wrote:

As of right now, domain forwarding with path matching works when the target URL does not include a path. For example, domain1.com is forwarded to domain2.com. If you enter domain1.com/path, the system will now take you to domain2.com/path. However, if domain1.com is forwarded to domain2.com/path-2, any path included with domain1.com isn't passed on. As far as I know, there is no plan to change this behavior. 

So, if "cfdnotes.com" is forwarded to "ossanworld.com/cfdnotes/", then "cfdnotes.com/path"

will not open  "ossanworld.com/cfdnotes/path" but simply open "ossanworld.com/cfdnotes/" for any "path", correct?   For example, when I enter the following.,

http://cfdnotes.com/cfdnotes_averaging_is_dissipation/cfdnotes_averaging_is_dissipation.pdf

I'm directed not to the pdf file but to "cfdnotes.com", which is "ossanworld.com/cfdnotes/index.html"

It used to work until a week (or two) ago, i.e., cfdnotes.com/path = ossanworld.com/cfdnotes/path

for any "path" with "cfdnotes.com" displayed in the address bar. What happened in the last couple of weeks? 

If this no longer works and there is no plan to restore this feature, it presents a serious problem to my websites (many contents are actually not accessible at the moment ).

Why has Godaddy decided to remove this feature? 

Why is there no plan to restore this behavior? 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @KM7. That's correct. If your core redirect includes a path, you will not be able to add an additional path to the URL in your browser. I'm not sure why this would have been working for you previously. This thread was initially started when the forwarding path broke several months ago. It shouldn't have been working at all since that time. As of now, it works when one domain is forwarded to another without a path being specified. As far as I know, there are no plans to change this. If you need this to work, I'd suggest hosting the domain on a web hosting server and using a redirect there. You should have increased options doing it that way.