cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Downgrading "Privacy protection" caused domain to expire!!!!

About a week ago I got a mail notifying me that one of my domains would be automatically renewed soon, along with the "Full Domain Privacy and Protection" option. I decided that I no longer need the privacy protection, so after chatting to one of your staff I was directed to this page and followed the procedure:

https://www.godaddy.com/help/cancel-protected-registration-1292?

On that page, it clearly says "Downgrading your protection plan does not cancel your domain name".

Now today, I wake up and see an email notifying me that a "Business Registration" has been renewed, but NOT the domain. I panic and log in to your website, and sure enough my most valuable domain has EXPIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wtf !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fortunately I was able to quickly renew the domain manually, but if it wasn't for that mail notifying me about the "Business Registration" I would not have even known about this and probably would have lost the domain completely!!

The icing on the cake is the "Business Registration" thing was renewed for a domain that wasn't being renewed, when according to your help pages, "You can only add Business Registration to domain names registered in your account with us".

For many years I have been trusting the automatic renewal to do its thing, but now I can't. Probably gonna be manually renewing from now on when I see that upcoming renewals mail. Please GETT YOUR [stuff] TOGETHER!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @iforce2d,

Welcome to the Community.

Removing privacy protection from a domain is in no way connected to its registration length recorded at the Registry for the domain. The privacy regulates the whois data reported online; the registration is a term of domain use at the Registry. (Unless the domain is cancelled at the same time.) We're glad to hear that you were able to recover your expired domain before losing it in the account. 

Business registration is also an add-on product to a domain, not connected with the domain registration itself. It's an optional service that provides a business listing on the whois listing for more visibility. It does not cancel with the cancellation of a domain. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi @iforce2d,

Welcome to the Community.

Removing privacy protection from a domain is in no way connected to its registration length recorded at the Registry for the domain. The privacy regulates the whois data reported online; the registration is a term of domain use at the Registry. (Unless the domain is cancelled at the same time.) We're glad to hear that you were able to recover your expired domain before losing it in the account. 

Business registration is also an add-on product to a domain, not connected with the domain registration itself. It's an optional service that provides a business listing on the whois listing for more visibility. It does not cancel with the cancellation of a domain. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post