cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Forwarding domain to google sites

I was using eskrima.ws to forward to my google site at https://sites.google.com/site/nolaeskrima/ and all was well.  I decided to switch my URL to eskrima.us and I have not been able to get it to forward from that URL.  I deleted the old url (eskrima.ws) and now only have eskrima.us.

Through google.com/webmaster/tools I've verified that I'm owner of both eskrima.us and www.eskrima.us.  Used both CNAME and TXT verification methods and both have verified.  I changed my web address on the google sites page as well.

I also have a forward for the unqualified domain through go daddy because I read that google sites doesn't work without it. And it's been a couple of weeks, so it it should have populated by now.

Am I missing a CNAME I needed to add manually?  Go Daddy Support has not been very helpful, asking me to forward the instructions from google, contacting them about it, etc.

Any help would be grateful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I was reviewing my DNS settings and changed 2 things (which I thought I had already done, but I must have not saved them) and it fixed the problem.

1. Changed the CNAME www  value: ghs.google.com

2. Added an A @  value 50.63.202.3

This seems to have fixed the problem and everything is forwarding properly now.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Retired
Not applicable

Hi @WilsonJ,

Could you explain in a clearer way please:

1. Your domain name.
  2. Your target you wish to forward too.
  3. Why you think support were not very helpful when without access to your account (support!!) it makes it very difficult to see the problem. Did you forward the instructions?

'I also have a forward for the unqualified domain through go daddy'???

1.  My current domain name is eskrima.us

2. My google site url is: https://sites.google.com/site/nolaeskrima/

3. Not sure how to answer this.  They do have access to my godaddy account during chat, don't they?  And how the hell am I supposed to forward instructions from google?  What does that even mean?  I wouldn't even know where to begin how to do that.  I just followed the verification prompts on google.com/webmasters/tools. The first person in support told me my domain had expired, so yeah, that was helpful, too. During the chat I also said, google has verified my ownership through both TXT and CNAME.

I hope this is better worded and look forward to your response.

I was reviewing my DNS settings and changed 2 things (which I thought I had already done, but I must have not saved them) and it fixed the problem.

1. Changed the CNAME www  value: ghs.google.com

2. Added an A @  value 50.63.202.3

This seems to have fixed the problem and everything is forwarding properly now.

View solution in original post

the problem i am having is with making a domain to a google site.  I can forward but only unmasked, showing that long and unattractive URL.  I see that google sites does not allow it, but there must be a way!

Retired
Not applicable

@Tomasquintana,

yes there is a simple way, stop 🛑 being so tight fisted and buy some proper hosting!!! There is no such thing as a free lunch and google want the world to see where your site is. In return you get free hosting. 

If you wanted  a free site on MYserver you can bet it will be yourSite.mySite.com too!!!

”I don’t work here so........”

How did you get to that ip address? is that the ip address of ghs.google.com