cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Generic Domain Names

I have bought several generic domain names over the years to help my site traffic, when I search for the terms I have used the don't show up in the searches, can anyone help or advise how I get these sites to show up in search engines so that the direct traffic to my business?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User IV

@ZigZag 

Assuming you are using 301 redirects they aren't going to show up as they are redirecting to your primary domain. Generally speaking most SEO suggestions / best practices state that while keywords in a domain can help with traffic, it is much further down the list in what is used for finding the site. 

Additionally you need to be careful if you configure your server to not redirect the URL but to load the content as it could come across as 2 sites with the same content which could actually hurt you. 

It has been my experience that having additional domains is more so for marketing purposes than anything else

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Super User IV

@ZigZag 

Assuming you are using 301 redirects they aren't going to show up as they are redirecting to your primary domain. Generally speaking most SEO suggestions / best practices state that while keywords in a domain can help with traffic, it is much further down the list in what is used for finding the site. 

Additionally you need to be careful if you configure your server to not redirect the URL but to load the content as it could come across as 2 sites with the same content which could actually hurt you. 

It has been my experience that having additional domains is more so for marketing purposes than anything else

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Thank you for the advice @PL281, yes I am using 301 redirect. I was advised in the past to avoid duplicating my main site, i'm just wondering if I really need the extra domain names at all If they can't direct traffic to my site...  

Community Manager

Hi @ZigZag. Thanks for posting. I wouldn't say you "need" them, though as @PL281 mentioned, they can sometimes be used for marketing. The thing to remember with search engines is that content is king. Since your other domains don't technically have content (you wouldn't want them to have the same content as your main domain or it will be considered duplicate content), they probably won't show up when searching key words. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Hi @JesseW, Thanks for the advice. 

I am now wondering if it is possible to change my domain completely to one of my generic ones or would that just complicate things 

Community Manager

Hey @ZigZag. You should be able to change the domain of your website, but you'll want to make sure you have the proper 301 redirects in place for your "old" domain or it will cause problems with your search engine rankings. You'll want to look into the best practices on how to do this specific to how you've constructed your websit

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.