cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

GoDaddy blocked by BT in the UK

GoDaddy looks to be blocked by BT in the UK. All 4 of my sites which are hosted by GoDaddy are affected. 1 time in 10 or so they load after some 10 secs but the other 9 out of 10 times I get a "took too long to load" message. GoDaddy are blaming BT and vice versa. I sat in McDonalds the other day to see if things were any better using their wifi - same issue! So I doubt GoDaddy's line that it is a BT fault. After several phone calls to both GoDaddy accepted they have an issue.  They are due to come back to me tonight with a solution. I'm not an IT person and really don't know what to make of this. All I know is that my eCommerce business is effectively off line which is a disaster. In the numerous calls I've made about this BT have been a lot more helpful than GoDaddy.  

31 REPLIES 31

Re: GoDaddy blocked by BT in the UK

Having the same problem as well. Called GoDaddy support and they said it was a BT issue with something to do with IP addresses. They said to me that they don't have an eta when it will be fixed as its a BT issue. I need it fixed though, it's affecting our online bookings.

Helper I

Hi I'm using Plusnet (BT) and also having this issue. However for me GoDaddy won't accept there is any problem, so I'm unable to load or log into either of my sites and Plusnet have no idea what the issue is. Sometimes one site works for a few minutes, and sometimes the other instead, but generally they are both down.

New

Have a look at this link https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Fibre-broadband/Access-to-GoDaddy-hosted-website-times-out-n... - you're not the only one having issues.  I have four sites I can't access at the moment.

Hi,

I have the same issue, and have been told the same thing by godaddy on 2 calls. I host 10 sites with godaddy & was just about to buy another 5 Managed Wordpress Developer package. I am seriously concerned.

I am glad that godaddy have now accepted it is their issue - I desperately need an ETA for when it will be resolved, as this is severely affecting my business & my client's businesses. 

Thanks, Diana

Hi Graham,

Did you get a reply & an ETA from godaddy please?

Thanks, Diana

New

I also need to buy some more managed Wordpress hosting for new clients but I think I will do this through another company.  This is seriously affecting my clients' businesses and the lack of response from GoDaddy on this issue has been astonishing

I am currently on hold for the Hosting Team at godaddy - I have now been on the phone for over 52 minutes.:-( 

Will post an update.

Helper I

@DianaCrabtreeUKwrote:

Hi,

I have the same issue, and have been told the same thing by godaddy on 2 calls. I host 10 sites with godaddy & was just about to buy another 5 Managed Wordpress Developer package. I am seriously concerned.

I am glad that godaddy have now accepted it is their issue - I desperately need an ETA for when it will be resolved, as this is severely affecting my business & my client's businesses. 

Thanks, Diana

Hi Diana

Did they accept it is their issue to you? Does this mean they are finally going to look into it?

Please do update if you find out anything further. I have been on hold too so getting nowhere with them.

Hi,

I am being told nothing can be done - it is not a tech issue. It is a company issue. I am still on the phone. The tech support guy has gone to take advice as I have said I need to escalate it, but he says there is no-one to escalate it to. Now on for 1 hour 12 minutes...not letting it go as it is too serious.

Thanks, Diana

So, nothing godaddy can do! 

The guy gave me the email address for hq - hq@godaddy.com if I want to write to them.

I am literally in shock. 

Has anyone spoken to anyone at BT, please? Thanks, Diana

I have had lengthy conversations with GoDaddy who refuse to acknowledge that it is there issue (and would not let me talk directly to level 2 tech support) and BT are also saying it is not their issue. I have tried tweeting both of them links to this discussion thread and this one: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Fibre-broadband/Access-to-GoDaddy-hosted-website-times-out-n...

If I don't get a sensible response soon I will move my website to another hosting service and cancel my BT account. Absolutely infuriated by both of them.

I'm getting to the point now where I don't know what to do. No one is being accountable for what's going on, we just need this fixed.

Where the hell are the Godaddy support team on this thread? Are they actively trying to sort it out or just sticking fingers in their ears pretending nothing is going on?

Unless this is sorted out pretty swiftly, I can see no choice other than moving my domain away from GoDaddy. Their support team were entirely indifferent when I said this to them on Friday.

I'm in the same boat. I'm actually quite relieved to have found this forum as I've spent three hours talking to goDaddy technical support and at no time did they indicate this was a wider problem than my own account. You would think they would have to do something from their end eventually, as I can't see them pulling sales of hosted wordpress in the UK and they cannot sell products people cannot access. 

Please respond to my twitter thread if you are on twitter and @ both BT and GoDaddy. See if we can wake their customer service teams up.

https://twitter.com/lottiejohn1/status/977620990959210496?s=21
Helper I

Just tweeted you (@mindful_blogger). They've ignored me on twitter and strangely when I looked I hadn't seen any other tweets about it.

Helper I

@Russell1wrote:

I'm in the same boat. I'm actually quite relieved to have found this forum as I've spent three hours talking to goDaddy technical support and at no time did they indicate this was a wider problem than my own account. You would think they would have to do something from their end eventually, as I can't see them pulling sales of hosted wordpress in the UK and they cannot sell products people cannot access. 

Same, they have at no point said there's any issue elsewhere at all, and in fact just try to sell me upgrades to solve my "ISP problem". 

Hi All,

I was advised yesterday by BT that godaddy have issued an update, which has some kind of virus. Clearly I don't know if this is the case.

Godaddy - if this is the case, things happen. I understand that.

Godaddy, please let us know you have an issue, that you are dealing with it as a matter of urgency & when you hope to have a resolution.

That is all I ask. Some transparency & good comms.

Thanks, Diana

Helper I

@DianaCrabtreeUKwrote:

So, nothing godaddy can do! 

The guy gave me the email address for hq - hq@godaddy.com if I want to write to them.

I am literally in shock. 

Has anyone spoken to anyone at BT, please? Thanks, Diana

Hi Diana

I've spoken on a chat to Plusnet (and they've suggested it is my DNS settings within my router. I'm not sure how that would affect things but I'm going to look into it. Have you received any further support from either company?

Hi,

By all means look at your settings, but this is a wider issue I believe.

Nothing else to report sadly.

Thanks, Diana

Also, I meant to say that I can't speak with BT Security, as I don't have a BT account myself.

If anybody does have a BT account, I was told that this is the team within BT that is fully conversant with the situation. They have been in touch with godaddy via LiveChat - apparently.

If anybody could please speak with this team & then post, I would be very grateful.

Thanks, Diana

Helper I

@DianaCrabtreeUKwrote:

Also, I meant to say that I can't speak with BT Security, as I don't have a BT account myself.

If anybody does have a BT account, I was told that this is the team within BT that is fully conversant with the situation. They have been in touch with godaddy via LiveChat - apparently.

If anybody could please speak with this team & then post, I would be very grateful.

Thanks, Diana

Hopefully someone with BT will see this and respond. I am with Plusnet and can't get anywhere. I really, really hope that they have spoken to GD and someone is working on this.

The latest from BT is here: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Fibre-broadband/Access-to-GoDaddy-hosted-website-times-out-n...

BT are saying that GoDaddy are blocking BT IPs. Someone in the thread has suggested that we have used our devices for nefarious purposes and been blacklisted! GoDaddy checked my home IP and my website and advised me that it was not blacklisted. I am reaching the point of being done with both BT and GoDaddy. 

Same problem here! fully reset my BT Homehub and cleared cached, and still nothing. Can hotspot through my phone to my WP-Admin.  

No one at Go Daddy seems to recognise this as a fault, even though it has been happening for over a week... (but i keep being told they've had no complaints from other users.....). 

Traceroutes seem to show that it is timing out and having trouble accessing the Servers that Godaddy is hosting WordPress on.  

Thought I would update to say that I have found a work around that appears to have fixed the problem. I opened an account with Cloudflare. Registered my website with a free plan. I then changed the name servers on my GoDaddy account under DNS management. I can now access my website again.

Caveat - I am a technological dunce, I do not understand anything about what I have just done or whether or not it was a good idea. All I can tell you is it worked and I can access my site again!

Hi Lottie,

You might be a technological dunce, but, given your advice has brought my website back online after a week of hell, I choose to believe you are in fact a genius!

I can't claim credit - a search on Twitter brought the solution up. Very pleased to hear it has worked for you! This has been such a frustrating experience!

The DNS nameservers change hack has worked, my main website is up however you can't get Godaddy to change the staging/development website DNS settings. So I'm still kinda stuck. 

According to godaddy, it is a "third party" issue but I think its something more likely to do with GoDaddy's nameservers 

New

Spent hours on the phone to GoDaddy who says it's not their fault - the problem lies with BT and there's nothing they can do about it.  BT say it's not their fault - the problem lies with GoDaddy.  The only solution I can think of is to close down my GoDaddy accounts and go with another hosting company.  It's so frustrating that neither company will talk to the other and in the middle are a whole pile of frustrated customers who can't access their Wordpress websites.

Check your site files. Look for strange files. The issue is not having your sites protected and they were probably hacked.
It isn't GoDaddy or BT's issue.
Web files need security. Especially with WordPress.
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Thanks so much for bringing this issue to our attention! Our team did some great investigative work, found the issue and fixed it. It affected a small group of customers like yourselves and we apologize for the inconvenience to your businesses. Please let us know if you experience any more related issues!

Rachel