cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Community Manager

How do I add privacy to my domain?

I need to make sure that have privacy. How do I do this? 

Rachel

RachelM - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Super User III

1. Log in to your GoDaddy account.
  2. Next to Domains, click Manage.
  3. Select the domain name you want to use, click Text Icon (Settings) and select Domain Settings.
  4. Under Contact Information, click Make Private.

View solution in original post

Hi @zjramirez, at this time it isn't possible to add private registration to a .US domain name due to registry restrictions.  You would be able to add the privacy option to your .COM domain per the following instructions: https://www.godaddy.com/help/add-private-registration-420?.  

MPC

19 REPLIES 19
Super User III

1. Log in to your GoDaddy account.
  2. Next to Domains, click Manage.
  3. Select the domain name you want to use, click Text Icon (Settings) and select Domain Settings.
  4. Under Contact Information, click Make Private.

Don't forget GoDaddy coupons - they will save you money.

Here's one for privacy, that will reduce the cost significantly: CJC3CP

Hello,

I do not have the option Make Private... because during the configuration of this second domain godaddy didn't ask if I wanted a private domain like for the first one I did, now is public and I can't neither purchase the domain privacy option since it let me just purchase the business privacy registration which I don't need.

Hey @Icks13,

What does the domain name end with (.com, .net, .org)? It's possible you might have registered a unique extension that has registry requirements that prevent privacy services from being added or in some cases can only be acquired through the registry directly.

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

I'm about to purchase a hosting and I also need to have a "private" option, so my contact information doesn't appear in a whois or icann search. Even if I found the option when I enter my hosting, would that cost extra? How much?

Why is the support chat not working, BTW?

Hello @made2105,

Private registration is an option when you purchase domains during the checkout process but it doesn't appear when you're purchasing hosting alone. If you'd like to add private registration to your domain, you can do so at any time.

Regarding chat, they're not available to all locations yet. If they're available to you, they'll be available from 5:30am to 6:30pm Arizona time, Monday-Friday.

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator

Thanks for your help, Heather 🙂

I have the same issue: 

I thought I purchased privacy with my .com.au domain but it was only applied to my .com domain.

I have followed Heathers suggestions but the checkout doesn't appear to be working... any suggestions?

I can't make any of my domains private... Help!

mybusinessloan.us

alliedfunding.us

rapidcashgroup.us

uscapitalcorp.us

sensiblecredit.us

sigmacapitalgroup.us

blocfunding.us

alternativefunds.us

consolidatedcapitalgroup.us

zacharyjosephramirez.com

Hi @zjramirez, at this time it isn't possible to add private registration to a .US domain name due to registry restrictions.  You would be able to add the privacy option to your .COM domain per the following instructions: https://www.godaddy.com/help/add-private-registration-420?.  

MPC

not possible for .in as well?

Does this include .ca?  I don't see the option to make contact information private either.

Thanks!

Hey @cyberchristie,

Actually, CIRA (the .CA registry) automatically applies its own private registration to new .CA domain names. So yes, you won't be able to purchase privacy through our services directly. However, you can reach out to our support team who can help put in a request to remove or re-add privacy for your .CA domain.

If you'd like learn more about the Private and Protected Registration rules on .CA domains, check out our article here

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator

Hi,

Can you help me out getting the privacy enabled on a .it domain please?

Same check out issue as described above..

Hello,

Did u mange to add privacy to your domain? i wanted to add to my .in domain but couldn't. The option is not their.
Can anyone help me please??

I have followed instructions below but when I click on Contact Information there is no bit with 'make private' to click on, only edit which doesn't allow me to make it private. What can I do to make it private when there is no bit to click on to do so

How can i change billing information of existing domain ???? i also enable privacy protection

Hi @blackhatwulf

I moved your message since it pertained to this subject regarding privacy. Also, here is how to change your billing information.

KayJay - GoDaddy | Community Moderator

How long after adding (i.e. purchasing) the privacy option does the change take place on Whois? I changed one of my domains to private last night and can still see my personal info on Whois about 14 hours later. Just want to make sure the ball is in motion 😉

-Adam