cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

How to Keep Domain Name and Email (Webmail) at Godaddy When Domain Points To Website Elsewhere?

We have Godaddy as our domain registrar - we would like to keep it that way.

We have domain-matching webmail service via Godaddy's Cpanel hosting - we would like to keep it that way.

We are launching a BigCommerce web store that will use the domain at Godaddy.

How do we keep the email service, and domain registration service, with Godaddy while simultaneously connecting the domain name to the BigCommerce website?

Some have suggested that it can be done at least 2 different ways; one way being changing the A-record at Godaddy to point to our BigCommerrce store, and the other way being changing the MX-record at BigCommerce so that it matches the Godaddy MX-record.

Communicating your experience in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User II Super User II
Super User II

Typically when you point hosting to another company your email settings change as well @Ambassador but you can configure your MX records independently. You are attempting to use cPanel email though and to my knowledge cPanel requires the hosting of the domain to utilize the email function?

I suggest that you leave your domain pointed to your GoDaddy cPanel (so that you still get your domain in the dropdown when creating new email addresses) and use a subdomain (something like shop.yourdomain.com) and point that to your BigCommerce store. Does that make any sense? I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User II Super User II
Super User II

Typically when you point hosting to another company your email settings change as well @Ambassador but you can configure your MX records independently. You are attempting to use cPanel email though and to my knowledge cPanel requires the hosting of the domain to utilize the email function?

I suggest that you leave your domain pointed to your GoDaddy cPanel (so that you still get your domain in the dropdown when creating new email addresses) and use a subdomain (something like shop.yourdomain.com) and point that to your BigCommerce store. Does that make any sense? I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

View solution in original post