cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Is this a known scam? Expire a domain early and then charge for a "broker"?

Got an email a few weeks ago that my credit card was expired and had a domain expiring on 11/28. Today, on 11/21, I get another mail that they have canceled the registration "at my request", a full week before the date in their previous mail. 

Chat agent tells me it's my fault for having an expired card in my profile. Has no answer to the fact that the mail says 11/28 and they expired it a week early, and mere moments after the expiration it had already been snapped up by a broker. The chat agent helpfully sent me a link to a Godaddy page that told me the domain was in the hands of a broker, but for 69€ + commission they would get it back for me. I was really angry but paid the stupid 69€, not realizing that this was only the fee they charge to supposedly get it back. Later they send me another mail thanking me for the order and letting me know it usually costs up to $2000 to recover the domain. 

To add insult to injury doing a whois on the domain now and I see that it's registered to domaincontrol.com...GoDaddy. 

I'm trying to be objective here but it looks to me like GoDaddy canceled my domain before it was due to expire for what reason I can only speculate, and are now shaking me down for a ton of extra money in order to get the domain back. 

Has this happened to anyone else? What recourse do I have? Can I file a complaint with ICANN? Anything? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @awestenb,

By the requirement of the Registry, a .ES domain must be renewed BEFORE the expiration date. You can read more about that requirement here and what actions you'll need to take to recover the domain. You will NOT need a broker to recover the domain, that agent misspoke. 

If our final attempt to auto-renew the domain name fails and you did not manually renew it, we will park your domain and you must redeem it. There might be a redemption fee.

While GoDaddy has no interest in buying customer domains, we are required to return them to the Registry if they are not renewed in the account. You'll need to contact our customer support team so they can escalate the recovery of the domain to the CCTLD team. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Super User I

Hello @awestenb and thank you for reaching out to the community. 

Can you by chance share your domain name with the community, please?

domaincontrol.com is the Domain Name Servers, meaning what DNS is control the domain routing. What is the Registrant name results?

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***

Hey Drew, 

The domain is bigals.es. The ICANN whois lookup just says owner info is not available, but that the record was updated today. According to the Spanish TLD registrar, the info is as follows: 

Nombre del Dominio: bigals.es

Estado: Activado

Identificador: 11EDE40-ESNIC-F5

Titular: Quin Team, S.L.

Fecha de Caducidad: 28-11-2019

This says that the domain is active, the owner is still who originally registered it, and that it expires on 28 November, a week from now. I do not understand how GoDaddy can have canceled this before it was due to expire. 

Thanks. 

Hello @awestenb 

I agree, something really, i'm showing original owner and hasn't been renewed yet. 

Do you still see your domain in your Domain Manager area of the GoDaddy console or you no longer seeing your domain name in the Domain Manager area?

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***

There is no sign of the domain at all. 

@awestenb 

Huh, that is interesting. If I were you, I would reach out to GoDaddy phone support and see what they can look at. I online chat is a good team, but the phone support team seem to always work better with me in finding answers to my questions/issues/concerns. 

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis

Hi @awestenb,

By the requirement of the Registry, a .ES domain must be renewed BEFORE the expiration date. You can read more about that requirement here and what actions you'll need to take to recover the domain. You will NOT need a broker to recover the domain, that agent misspoke. 

If our final attempt to auto-renew the domain name fails and you did not manually renew it, we will park your domain and you must redeem it. There might be a redemption fee.

While GoDaddy has no interest in buying customer domains, we are required to return them to the Registry if they are not renewed in the account. You'll need to contact our customer support team so they can escalate the recovery of the domain to the CCTLD team. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post