cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Re: Does this GoDaddy vexing problem apply only to REDIRECT/FOWARD settings?

Thank you @PaulMarini

Re: My domain name not resolving correctly, 6 random characters are being added to the path

I have the same issue of random characters being added to a URL that one of my domain names is supposed to be forwarding to. This is totally ridiculous behaviour from godaddy. I have been in contact with their people online over the last 2 days and they never once brought up their bug issue, always blaming it on my hosting company! Worse they even started trying to push one of their services that would supposedly 'clean' my website from any malware that might be causing my domain name forwarding from not working and wanted to charge $300 a year for it!!!  It makes me wonder now if godaddy has been purposely causing these issues so that they can push more of their services on customers! This is totally outgrageous, after having had domain names at godaddy for more than 10years, I for one do not plan on staying with godaddy for any longer of they continue to lie to their customers!!!

Re: My domain name not resolving correctly, 6 random characters are being added to the path

I have the same problem here i.e. more than a week now. I talked with support and he cannot help. With FB messenger, she suggested that I contacted Live Chat on week-day as she cannot repeat the error there, so won't know how to solve. All in all, noone mentions that this is a long (from this thread happened since aug'17 bugs) 

I have 3 GODADDY domains pointing to 3 different site(s) hosted outside GODADDY e.g. Wordpress, WIX and a private-hosted site.

The problem happens to all the url(s), as it shows errors because some random 5 characters kept adding to the end of the destination url(s). And it keeps happening on-and-off and day-in day-out  with all types of browsers and OS on PC, Mac and iOS.

This is totally unacceptable to use the url(s) as the destination addresses for anything, as it sure drives away any potential visitors we try to draw to our site(s).

Hey @ppaul-th and everyone else on this thread,

First, my apologies regarding the issues encountered. Generally, the random string of characters is part of a monitoring tool our admins use to filter out legitimate traffic on a nameserver that is experiencing a sudden increase in traffic. In the case of forwarded domains, it should only be appearing on the domain being forwarded, not the URL forwarded to.

I reached out to parties involved in the case mentioned by @LuxarCare to review what happened. Sounds like the tools were not operating as expected and took time to figure out what was causing the additional characters to be applied to the destination URL. Unfortunately, this situation was not a widely reported issue impacting our network which is why no reports were posted on our status page notifying of the issue. 

The last report I could find from our developers indicated the issue should have been resolved 3 weeks ago. If any here are still encountering an issue with the forwarded domain still applying characters to the destination address, you'll need to reach out to our live support via phone or chat once more with a screenshot ready as proof as our support staff will likely be unable to duplicate the issue. However, with the screenshot they can request this escalated for further review. Once it's verified, our teams may ask you to run some tests in real time to help gather further information needed to troubleshoot and address this issue. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
Solution

Being very frustrated with GoDaddy, saying it was fixed and it was not. I decided to create a FIX. I use WordPress / PHP. In WordPress, the themes files there should be a 404.php file. Otherwise it will work in any 404 php script file. At the top of the file I have added a redirect script to remove the 5 random characters and the following slash. So the logic is, if it is already a 404 not found and the last 6 characters are the bad redirect (ex. 'aRkHv/'), remove the 6 bad characters and redirect again. It is not a perfect script, but it will work in 99% of cases. You may need to add some exceptions.

/* GoDaddy 404 Redirects FIX */
$currURL = $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'];
$CheckRedirectError = substr($currURL, -6);
if (preg_match("/^[a-zA-Z]{5}\/$/",$CheckRedirectError)){
$protocol = (!empty($_SERVER['HTTPS']) && $_SERVER['HTTPS'] !== 'off' || $_SERVER['SERVER_PORT'] == 443) ? "https://" : "http://";
$redirectTo = str_replace($CheckRedirectError, '', $currURL);
header("HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently");
header("Location: " . $protocol . $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] . $redirectTo);
exit();
}

I hope this helps some people.