cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Mysterious 'Parked' A Record suddenly appeared.

Hi,

I have had a domain bought from GoDaddy that points (through managed DNS) to my website hosted at a fixed ip address at Microsoft Azure.

All has been working fine, until I got a call from a user telling me they were getting a "Parked Domain" page from GoDaddy. I replicated the problem.

When I went to see my Managed DNS console, I noticed an A record pointing to Parked. 

I deleted it and normal function was restored.

I had a very unsatisfactory call with GoDaddy support, who basically kept on repeating that I must have added the record (which of course I didn't) - and/or it was nothing to do with GoDaddy. Which clearly it was.

I'm thinking the likely problem was either:

1. An A record that pointed somewhere or other, and that destination became invalid, so GoDaddy defaulted to "Parked".
  2. A system glitch on GoDaddy's end that inserted this "Parked" A Record.

In the case of #1, I would like to know what was there, so I can fix it and reenter the correct A record.

In the case of #2, I would like to know what happened, as I can't be checking GoDaddy DNS console every few hours.

I really am quite steamed by the awful support call. Perhaps someone else can help me get to the bottom of this. The fact that its working again, now, is good - but not knowing why the mystery A record showed up in the first place, is not so good.

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
New

Re: Mysterious 'Parked' A Record suddenly appeared.

I have same problem, GoDaddy please advise!!!

Same thing happened to me, yesterday.

Community Manager
Community Manager

HI @skavan@skavan@jasontduncan - Thanks for posting. That's pretty strange. Generally, a domain is only parked in connection with an event in the account. For example, if you had the domain on one of our services (forwarding, hosting, etc.) then removed it from that service, the domain might park. Did anything like that happen in your account prior to the A record appearing? 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

Same thing happened to us. We have made no changes to hosting or anything prior to this happening. Couldn't be us mistakenly adding that record because no one in our team even know of this kind of A record  prior to this happening.

Pls advise. Is Godaddy being hacked without knowing ?

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hi @kensng. If you're concerned about account security, I'd recommend resetting your account password. The only way someone would be able to change your DNS settings would be if they had access to your account. I'd also recommend contacting support to further review this issue, so they can audit any DNS changes and let you know where they came from. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.