cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nameservers not working

I bought the domain ohlife.today from Godaddy a week ago. I changed the nameservers to Bluehost, as I have done in the past with other domains; but it is not propagating correctly. A check with: https://www.whatsmydns.net/#NS/ohlife.today shows propagation in Turkey (for no apparent reason) but not elsewhere. Bluehost asked me to contact GoDaddy and ask them to re-push, GoDaddy support says it is working ok; which it isn't.
Anything I can do?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Nameservers not working

Hi @Hughden. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! It looks like there's a problem with the DNS for your domain on the nameservers in question. When queried, the nameservers are not producing DNS settings for your domain. You can see this in this test. This usually means that the nameservers are not set up to serve DNS for the domain in question. I'd review the situation with Bluehost to make sure you're using the correct nameservers and that they are properly configured. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Hi Jesse

Thanks for your response.

I have three domains with GoDaddy. All three have Bluehost DNS servers. Two have always worked with no problem; this one doesn't. It has the same DNS servers as the other two.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Hughden - That may be the case, but it doesn't mean that the nameservers have DNS information for the domain in question. Any time I've ever seen nameservers act the way they have in your case, it's because they weren't serving DNS for a particular domain. The DNS lookup that shows the nameservers in Turkey is probably just pulling information from your domain's WHOIS listing rather than pulling it from the actual domain. You can run a similar query to the one I did before for your other domains in the tool I linked to. That should show that the domains that are working have DNS while the other does not. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

The nameserver entries in GoDaddy are the same for all three of my domains. Two of them resolve correctly, and have done so for years; the new domain doesn't. I still don't understand why this should be and have no idea what to do to fix it.
I tried changing the DNS to the GoDaddy default and got almost instant propagation. But change back to Bluehost; and it fails again.

The solution will be to move the domain to Bluehost when I am able to do so.

Community Manager
Community Manager

I understand why you think this should work @Hughden. However, as the DNS test shows, the nameservers aren't providing DNS information for the new domain. I think it would be worth your time just to check with Bluehost to make sure there isn't a problem with the zone file for the domain in question. If there is and you decide to move the domain, the problem will still exist. For further evidence, take a look at the results from IntoDNS