cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

email set up

I purchased my domain through Google Domains.  I've been trying to set up my email on GoDaddy and am getting the message "We can't create until you verify that you own this domain" There's a link - Help me fix this, which I've done twice now, and selected "other" for the DNS provider since Google is not listed.  All of the records have been updated on my Google account with what's listed under the steps, but I'm still getting the message that GoDaddy needs to verify I own the domain.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: email set up

@TheAmethystOwl 

Based on what I saw the name servers are already on GoDaddy so you need to setup the DNS records there and then should be good to go

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@TheAmethystOwl 

What is your domain name so we can take a look at your DNS settings

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Highlighted
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@TheAmethystOwl 

So it looks like the domain is set to use GoDaddy's name server (ns01.domaincontrol.com & ns02.domaincontrol.com)

If you go to https://dcc.godaddy.com/manage/theamethystowl.com/dns 

are the DNS (TXT records there) I'm assuming you are setting up Office 365 - you should need to add a TXT record for the verification and the MX record (among some others)

If you want to use the Google DNS - then you need to adjust the settings in Google to use their Name Servers instead

Highlighted

I don't necessarily want to use google, I thought I had to since that is who I purchased the domain through.  I would like to manage as much as possible through godaddy, to the extent that I plan on transferring the domain from google to godaddy, once I'm able.  I did try to change to the google name servers previously and once I did that, the website would no longer come up (not sure if it takes time to apply those changes).  boiling all of this down, is there a path through godaddy that I can get the email running right away, without losing the website for a period of time?

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@TheAmethystOwl 

Based on what I saw the name servers are already on GoDaddy so you need to setup the DNS records there and then should be good to go

View solution in original post

Highlighted

IT IS ALIVE!  So here is what went down:  before I started this thread, I thought the godaddy dns settings had to appear on google's page, so I replicated all of them there.  Then based off of your responses, I went and copied the TXT and MX records that I had put on google and added them to godaddy because as you pointed out, they weren't present.  After a few minutes, those changes must've applied on the godaddy side and I was able to setup the email.  THANK YOU, THANK YOU.  As a side question, since I want to manage through godaddy, am I correct in thinking that all I need on teh google side is teh name servers and the A record?  I'm wondering if all of the other records I created on google are un-necessary and can be deleted?

Highlighted

Hi @TheAmethystOwl

If you're using GoDaddy nameservers, the ISPs around the world will only read those as they find and use the information in the GoDaddy nameservers to find your website, email servers, etc. Nothing you've placed in the Google nameservers will be relevant. You don't need to delete them... they just won't matter as they're not being referenced. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support