cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any ideas to shut down spoofing

A spammer has hijacked my email and is using it as the send address for spamming. I added a txt record that I thought would stop all emails from being sent -  v=spf1 -all - and deleted the MX record. I still am getting bounce backs from rejected emails. I don't use this email to send anything, but it's driving me crazy deleting all the undeliverable messages. Any ideas? I appreciate the help!!!

2 REPLIES 2
Super User IV

@ellenthompson68 

The MX record affects incoming mail not sending.

The SPF record does tell receiving where to accept mail from, the issue you have is if the mail was already sent prior to adjusting the SPF record, those emails would still generate bounces.

Not much you can otherwise do  - DKIM / SPF will have reduce likely hood of this in the future. 

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Community Manager

Hey @ellenthompson68. Thanks for posting. As @PL281 mentioned, there's not a lot you can do from the domain side. Usually you would need to find the provider that is sending out the emails and report the abuse with them. I had a thorough discussion about this with another customer in this thread if you want to check it out. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.