cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Do I need encryption now to connect to O365 mail with Outlook?

Since Windows 10 updated to version 2004 users have been unable to connect with Outlook. I removed the account from Outlook and tried to add it again in various ways. The Outlook wizard just says "Something went wrong" but the Mail Control Panel applet says "an encrypted connection to your server is not available". The encryption option in the connection properties is set to "Yes" and greyed out so it can't be changed.

So have I understood this correctly, do I have to pay the extra for encryption to be able to use Outlook to manage my company's emails?  

I have tried the help chat and phone, but they're sort of in denial, saying all the server settings are correct and anyway since I can access mails through the web page, they don't have to help me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to respond. No, my copy of Outlook is a fully-updated Office 365 for enterprise desktop version. "About Outlook" says it is Version 2006 build 13001.20266 click-to-run. (Version 2006 does not not have anything to do with that year. It is the sequence number of the latest version being offered by Office 365 to my computers. It isn't older than Outlook 2010).

After making this post, I discovered that Outlook on my two computers were being marked as "Access Denied" by the GoDaddy Exchange Server for contravening a security policy (I don't know which one, but certainly none of the policies accessible to me). GoDaddy customer service escalated the matter to their boffins, who told me their settings were all fine, thanks. Since Outlook was definitely not working for me, I rolled both computers back to Windows 10 Version 1909, and Outlook started working again.

Anyway, the answer to my question is that this had nothing to do with encryption, but something to do with a conflict between Outlook running on Windows 10 version 2004 and the GoDaddy Exchange server security policies which GoDaddy won't investigate until someone more important than me complains about it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Employee

Hello @VaughanD ,

Thank you for reaching out, and welcome to the Community!   To answer your question about Outlook, am I correct in understanding that you have a version older than 2010?  You' ll need to update your Outlook version according to this Outlook article here.   Let us know if this resolved your issue, and have a great evening! 

Sales and Support available 24/7 via phone or chat

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to respond. No, my copy of Outlook is a fully-updated Office 365 for enterprise desktop version. "About Outlook" says it is Version 2006 build 13001.20266 click-to-run. (Version 2006 does not not have anything to do with that year. It is the sequence number of the latest version being offered by Office 365 to my computers. It isn't older than Outlook 2010).

After making this post, I discovered that Outlook on my two computers were being marked as "Access Denied" by the GoDaddy Exchange Server for contravening a security policy (I don't know which one, but certainly none of the policies accessible to me). GoDaddy customer service escalated the matter to their boffins, who told me their settings were all fine, thanks. Since Outlook was definitely not working for me, I rolled both computers back to Windows 10 Version 1909, and Outlook started working again.

Anyway, the answer to my question is that this had nothing to do with encryption, but something to do with a conflict between Outlook running on Windows 10 version 2004 and the GoDaddy Exchange server security policies which GoDaddy won't investigate until someone more important than me complains about it.

View solution in original post