cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Moving O365 to Microsoft - what happens to OneDrive contents

I have made the decision to move my O365 from go daddy to Microsoft because of the lack of extra licenses I need access to (many of their business systems require an actual Microsoft account) and a few other reasons.  I have the process to move my email and get the account removed/setup.  But when I delete the domain from Go Daddy what will happen to my One Drive?  When I recreate it under my MSFT tenet will my one drive still be accessible and have all of my documents.  It is my number one storage location and backing it all up will probably take an extreme amount of time that I don't want to have to waste.  

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I apologize for my misunderstanding of the question. I found a better article to assist from Microsoft's Support Site:

After reading this article, you would have to move the files over as an email migration will only migrate email accounts. The article has different solutions on how to complete this so there is not a lot of time spent transferring the files.

Once you delete your Office 365 then all contents will be deleted so completing the above steps are necessary. You mentioned moving providers, are you referring to email providers or domain name providers?

GoDaddy Support is available 24/7!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Employee

Hello @lindsaybethgarc and thank you for being a part of the Community!

I was able to locate a help article on Microsoft's Support Site that provides instructions on how to migrate your content over before deleting your Office 365 account. If this solution does not work then I would recommend reaching out to Microsoft's Support team, they might have a better migration solution.

I hope you found this helpful and have a wonderful weekend 😁.

that doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for.  I want it to stay exactly where it is and ust not lose access to it since it will be the same domain, just under different providers.  This seems to be discussing migrating it from a different type of service (box, google drive) I'm just worried when I remove the domain from godaddy all of the data in there will be removed with it and not retrievable when I reinstate the domain with msft.  

I apologize for my misunderstanding of the question. I found a better article to assist from Microsoft's Support Site:

After reading this article, you would have to move the files over as an email migration will only migrate email accounts. The article has different solutions on how to complete this so there is not a lot of time spent transferring the files.

Once you delete your Office 365 then all contents will be deleted so completing the above steps are necessary. You mentioned moving providers, are you referring to email providers or domain name providers?

View solution in original post