cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

Office 365 SMTP on SSL

We purchased Office 365 through Godaddy. Now for our application to send mails we need to configure Office 365 SMTP with SSL. But I cant see any information regarding smtp on ssl. SMTP with TLS is there but our applications supports only SSL

Also for testing we tried configuring Office 365 on Outlook 2010 mail client, SMTP is working fine with settings smtp.office365.com on port 587 and TLS enabled. But its not working when TLS changed to SSL. Also we tried on port 465 and also on port 25 (Non SSL) but getting getting error.

So please let me know whats the SMTP SSL settings for Office 365.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Office 365 SMTP on SSL

Hi @geopc

Welcome to our community forums. Please check out this article from Microsoft's support forum. This should help you out with your setup process. 

KayJay - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
New

We tried following SMTP Settings but they are not working:

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server: smtp.office365.com
Port: 587
Type of Encrypted Connection: SSL

Port: 465
Type of Encrypted Connection: SSL

Port: 25
Type of Encrypted Connection: No

The only working configuration is

Port: 587
Type of Encrypted Connection: TLS

But as our application is not supporting TLS we need to configure Office 365 in either SSL or non-SSL.

Thanks

You may have already solved your problem but it is also one I'm troubleshooting today. My client has a godaddy (linux-based) VPS for the marketing website but uses a Microsoft server for email. We are installing the (Wordpress) "WP Mail SMTP Plugin" to attempt to solve the problem of  not being to send form input as emails from our VPS website to the mail server. (We are also using Office365.)

I ran into the following on github (https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting):

"Popular US hosting provider GoDaddy imposes very strict (to the point of becoming almost useless) constraints on sending an email. They block outbound SMTP to ports 25, 465 and 587 to all servers except their own. This problem is the subject of many frustrating questions on Stack Overflow. If you find your script works on your local machine, but not when you upload it to GoDaddy, this will be what's happening to you. The solution is extremely poorly documented by GoDaddy: you must send through their servers, and also disable all security features, username, and password (great, huh?!), giving you this config for PHPMailer:

$mail->isSMTP();
$mail->Host = 'relay-hosting.secureserver.net';
$mail->Port = 25;
$mail->SMTPAuth = false;
$mail->SMTPSecure = false;
GoDaddy also refuses to send with a From address belonging to any aol, gmail, yahoo, hotmail, live, aim, or msn domain (see their docs). This is because all those domains deploy SPF and DKIM anti-forgery measures, and faking your from address is forgery."

At this point, I'm suspecting GoDaddy is, by default, blocking port 587.  I wish they would put some documentation online going deeper into how to solve this kind of problem.

Solution

Hi @gcferrell.

If you are trying to send email from your VPs, it would not be related to Outlook or Office 365. See the info in this article:

https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-is-my-servers-email-relay-server-16601

External email servers or services may not be used to send email from a VPS. You must use the default relay server.

^Gary

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status

Thank you this helped