cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Switching WP from Linux to Windows

I have a current domain and hosting plan setup and live running Wordpress on a Linux hosting plan.  I need to move that website over to a Windows hosting plan.  I am familiar with backing up Wordpress' database, contents, config file and moving that to a new plan.

My question is, can I set that all up on a new Windows hosting plan without pointing a domain to it?  I'm not changing domain names.  The domain is live.  I just need to setup an exact replica of the site on a Windows server, and when complete, point the domain name to that new host.  

Most of the tutorials I've seen start with installing WP on the new account, and one of those first steps is picking which domain will point to it.  I just don't want to take down my live site until the new hosting plan is running and mirrors it.  

Any tips would be appreciated, and in case it matters, we're launching a new .net core application as part of the site and need a Windows hosting plan with Plesk to deploy.  Also, both plans are with GoDaddy.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User IV

@pinnacleoffice 

You may have to assign a temp domain to the new account and then move the site and then repoint the domain.

While WordPress will / can run on a Windows server, generally speaking as someone who has been managing WordPress sites for almost 10 years,  it is not recommended.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User IV

@pinnacleoffice 

You may have to assign a temp domain to the new account and then move the site and then repoint the domain.

While WordPress will / can run on a Windows server, generally speaking as someone who has been managing WordPress sites for almost 10 years,  it is not recommended.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post