cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Cant verify domain ownership.

Hi all,

I'm new to this so please be gentle with me.

I have registered with godaddy and purchased the SSL certificate for my domain. 

I have followed the instructions on the "Verify domain ownership" help page but when it comes to creating the directory named /.well-known/pki-validation/ in the highest level directory I get the error message that you can't use "/" in file or directory names.

Like I said I am new to this so my issue is probably a very basic one so hopefully someone can help!?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: Cant verify domain ownership.

Hi @Driptray Welcome to GoDaddy Community! Based on what you're asking, it seems likely that you are hosting your website with another provider. When instructions mention hosting directories and use "/", that is an indication of the directory path. You do not need to include the forward slash in your directory name. In this case, you want to create a file that is inside a folder named pki-validation, which is inside a folder named .well-known, which is inside the root directory for your website. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Thanks @JesseW. My domain was purchased with another provider but the hosting is being done by GoDaddy. Thank you for clearing up the issue with the /, I followed the instructions and created the folders etc but could not verify the domain (got the message: "Unable to verify your domain. Please confirm that you have followed all steps listed below." so attempted the txt file way and same again!

Just to clarify: when creating the the TXT record the host is simply "@"? 

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Driptray - What you would use for the host in your TXT record would depend on what the certificate issuer is requesting. In most cases, it would be just '@' though. Anything that goes in the host field (other than @) would represent a subdomain. For example, if you used a host of 'certificate' you would have to look up the TXT record at certificate.domain.com. 

However, if your hosting and SSL Certificate are with GoDaddy, then you should be able to have the certificate automatically installed. The only time that wouldn't work is if you are trying to install a certificate for a secondary domain on a hosting plan. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Thanks @JesseW

I ran through everything with someone on live chat and got it sorted. There was an error in what I had inputted so he was able to find that and rectify it for me. Thanks again for your help.