cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
NickInElgin
Getting Started

OV SSL verification requirements

We have been selling our products online for over 20 continuous years. We are an LLC in our state and in good standing. Our last OV SSL, from GoDaddy, expired in 2020. We are now using a DV SSL. GoDaddy would not renew our OV SSL unless we provided a notarized letter of being a valid business. We called our RA, we called our CPA’s and we even called notary services. None will provide this type of letter. The only entity that will provide this letter is an attorney. Our attorney quoted a price of $2500 for this letter. Other attorneys were around the same price. An OV SSL is only valid for, I believe, 398 days. This means we would need to obtain a new notarized letter every 398 days?

We are a small business. $2500 ever 398 days for a letter is a steep ask of us. How do other small businesses obtain and afford OV SSL’s. Thank you in advance for your reply.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PL281
Super User III

@NickInElgin 

I was just reading about OV SSL validation and I would think that I business license / letter from your account should meet this requirements - I'm curious why your CPA wouldn't sign a simple letter saying you are a business.

I've never gotten an OV SSL cert, however the accountants I work with (directly or through my clients) would have no issue signing that sort of letter.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PL281
Super User III

@NickInElgin 

I was just reading about OV SSL validation and I would think that I business license / letter from your account should meet this requirements - I'm curious why your CPA wouldn't sign a simple letter saying you are a business.

I've never gotten an OV SSL cert, however the accountants I work with (directly or through my clients) would have no issue signing that sort of letter.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

View solution in original post

Thank you for your reply. The following is a copy and paste of the reply sent to us from our accounting firm:

Hi Nick,

Unfortunately, due to restrictions by our professional liability insurer, we cannot provide the attestation. You might want to check your attorney or your registered agent.

Sheila

@NickInElgin 

1) That seems odd that they will sign off on your tax return but won't sign a letter saying you are an valid business  - anyways....

2) This is from another SSL provider - but I read the same thing on at least 2 other sites - A link to a government agency in the jurisdiction of the Applicant’s legal creationexistence, or recognition. 

So I would think that if you can provide a link to the state where you are incorporated and also where you have your business license that should meet the requirements