cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

SSL for a forwarded domain

I have a domain with GoDaddy that is forwarded to my own NAS on a static public IP.  I run a personal webserver on that NAS.  I want to install an SSL certificate and went to SSLForFree.com.  I was able to create the certifcate and install it on my Linux Debian Apache2 webserver.  When I run the tools to check it,  I get an error that the host names do no match the site names:

Subjectshortener.secureserver.net
Fingerprint SHA256: {masked}=
Common namesshortener.secureserver.net
Alternative namesshortener.secureserver.net www.shortener.secureserver.net   MISMATCH

How can I install an SSL certificate for my domain name (5-scotts.com) when using domain forwarding by GoDaddy to my public IP?

3 REPLIES 3
Super User III Super User III
Super User III

Re: SSL for a forwarded domain

SSL is not an option with the forwarding service, but if it was this wouldn't make the actual website secure (after the forward).  Ideally the domain would be pointed with DNS records to the IP address where a server configured for the domain, and that is where the SSL would be installed.

Thank you.  So ... Again, my domain is registered with GoDaddy and it is forwarded (by GoDaddy) to my public static IP.  Can I/How would I create DNS records so that "the domain would be pointed with DNS records to the IP address where a server configured"?  I have installed the SSL certificates on my server so if I can just get the DNS servers to point my domain name to my public IP directly then I would not need GoDaddy to forward that domain and (I think) this should work.

Super User III Super User III
Super User III
Solution

If you remove the forwarding you can edit the DNS manually following this article.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/change-an-a-record-19239

I am not sure of your server setup, but this would also need to be configured to serve requests for the domain.