cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Which certificate is root and which is intermediate ?

I purchased a certificate and received a zip file. It contains two files:

gd_bundle-g2-g1.crt

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.crt (includes other letters in place of x)

My application on a Linux server has an interface to add previously requested cert based on teh CSR. I can read the certs with OPENSSL, which is necessary to add them . Here is what the documentation says:

"When you receive the certificate from your certificate authority, copy all of it including the BEGIN CERTIFICATE and END CERTIFICATE lines into the box below then click Save Certificate.

If you receive a certificate authority chain (intermediate certificates), do not include it here. You will have the opportunity to provides this information on a separate page once you install your certificate"

Which certificate should I add first and which is the intermediate ?

Many thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Employee
Employee

Re: Which certificate is root and which is intermediate ?

Hello @manouche!

Thank you for posting. The root certificate is in that bundle you mention. If you need the intermediate certificate, you need to get it from our file repository

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

Thank you, but it is still not clear. Other than the bundle I received, what is the other *.crt file in the zip ?

If I go to the repository, how do I know what intermediate certificate I need ?  Is it under the heading "GoDaddy Certificate Chain" ? Maybe "GoDaddy Secure Server Certificate (Intermediate Certificate)" ?

New

I am having exact same question. I talked to two support engineers and they gave me no answer...

Anyone has a clue ?

Solution

You will recieve 2 files,

one something like 

123ab4cd45678910.crt (root)

and another is

gd_bundle-g2-g1.crt (intermediate)

You wont need the key if it is just renewal.

To install the renewed certificate,

1. open the httpd.conf or ssl.conf or httpd-ssl.conf file in you Apache,
  2. search for the SSLCertificateFile and you will get where your(root) certificate is, Open the certificate in notepad++ with Admin privileges, also open 123ab4cd45678910.crt
  3. Copy the entire text from 123ab4cd45678910.crt to the certificate file and save the file.
  4. Optional:If you are using a Certificate chain u need to install the bundle (intermediate) file.
  5. Restart the Apache

Viola you are done!!.

The last answer is correct (from akshaypai9091 ).  "bundle" is the intermediate cert.