cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Wildcard Questions

Hello all!

I am looking at purchasing a wildcard domain SSL from GoDaddy but have a few questions first. I have looked through the community but can not find a clear answer to all my questions, specific to GoDaddy's implementation of Wildcard SSLs. I think I know the answers, but would like to validate.

1. Do GoDaddy wildcard SSLs support both sub-domains and the root domain? For example, will the GoDaddy wildcard SSL support both mydomain.com and www.mydomain.com?

2. We have servers in two separate geographical locations, aka different public IP addresses. Can we have the wildcard SSL assigned to servers with different public IP addresses?

3. Is there a limit on GoDaddy Wildcard SSL certs as to how many separate physical servers we can have the wildcard on?

4. Generally with SSLs you have to create a CSR on the server before creating the SSL on the GoDaddy site. How does that work if working with multiple servers?

5. When adding a subdomain at a later time, does this then require re-keying of all servers that use the SSL? For example, if 6 months down the road we add a server named mail.mydomain.com and we want to use the wildcard, do we need to rekey all other servers before we can use?

I know some of these may be basic questions but I want to make sure we understand fully before purchasing. As I said, we have done some research but can not find a clear answer to all of these, especially through GoDaddy.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Employee

1. Wildcard certificates will cover one domain and all of its subdomains, yes it supports both

2. You can install it with multiple IP addresses

3. There isn't a way to track much less limit where the SSL is used

4. You create the CSR on the first server to get the SSL issued. For future servers you install the same certificate you downloaded for the first server, and use the same private key your first server generated to get the CSR. This is outside of GoDaddy's scope of support so you can do it but there won't be official help

5. Since the SSL is already valid for all subdomains, no rekey is required

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Employee

1. Wildcard certificates will cover one domain and all of its subdomains, yes it supports both

2. You can install it with multiple IP addresses

3. There isn't a way to track much less limit where the SSL is used

4. You create the CSR on the first server to get the SSL issued. For future servers you install the same certificate you downloaded for the first server, and use the same private key your first server generated to get the CSR. This is outside of GoDaddy's scope of support so you can do it but there won't be official help

5. Since the SSL is already valid for all subdomains, no rekey is required

View solution in original post

Thank you for the clear answers Ben!