cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Wildcard SSL Private Key issue

Hi guys

I am quite new to SSL certs, and I think this might be a common problem, but I am having issues using a wildcard SSL on more than one server.

I want to deploy the certificate onto a handful of windows servers, but I appear to only be able to use the certificate on the server from which I generated the CSR. I think the issue is that I don't seem to have a private key that I can export and use elsewhere?

Have I done something wrong? (almost certainly!).

Any help would be much appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Wildcard SSL Private Key issue

@TimCunnell 

If you are working with multiple servers, you'll need to export the certificate and the private key from your first server that you installed the SSL on and then import the SSL into the additional servers. You will need to review documentation for your server for specific steps on how to export and import SSLs.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

@MrVapor 

Thanks very much for your reply.  I am using Windows Server 2016, and have tried exporting my cert along with the private key.  I am sure I am using the first server on which I installed the certificate (which is the same server on which I created the CSR) but when I go through the export wizard, the option to export the private key is greyed out?

Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@TimCunnell 

That is an answer I don't know. You might want to see if you can speak to someone in the SSL department.

One thing that may be the issue is the way you configured the setup to the SSL. As a wildcard, typically when you install it manually, you put an asterisk in front of the domain name. EX: *.mysite.com. That would be the only other thing I can think of off the top of my head.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community