cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Need to block area codes

The area code of my SmartLine number is completely different to local area codes where I live. And my business is entirely local. So every call I get from the same area code as my SmartLine number is spam and I would like to block ALL numbers from that area code
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Helper VI
Helper VI
Solution

Re: Need to block area codes

Hello and thank you for reaching out to the community. I don't think you can block area codes according to this GoDaddy article:
https://www.godaddy.com/help/block-numbers-or-calls-27792?

You could contact GoDaddy support to confirm that statement though.

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***

View solution in original post

Product Team
Product Team
Solution

Hello @merk 

I apologize for the confusion, let me try to clarify.

If you're able to, cancel your current number and get another number where your business operates in. So you'll still have one number.  The new number may not get as many spam calls as the old number.  I suspect that your current number is probably on many marketing lists probably from the previous owner and resold many times (GoDaddy does not resell your info) There isn't a systematic way to cleanse a number before being used again. Another number may not have the same faith and not all numbers are plague with neighborhood spam.  If you're concerned about the potential spam on the new number, you can try a new number for 30 days for free to monitor it before canceling the old number. 

I know this a drastic alternative especially if your current number is already established.  But it is an alternative for those who are able to get a new number.  Let us know how effective the Spam Filter is.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Helen

6 REPLIES 6
Helper VI
Helper VI
Solution

Hello and thank you for reaching out to the community. I don't think you can block area codes according to this GoDaddy article:
https://www.godaddy.com/help/block-numbers-or-calls-27792?

You could contact GoDaddy support to confirm that statement though.

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***

New

Yeah i know, i was posting this more as a request to have that ability added.

Community Manager
Community Manager

I'd be happy to pass along your suggestion to our Smartline developers.  Thank you.  

MPC

Product Team
Product Team

Hello @merk 

Try our new Spam Filtering feature that is available in the app Settings.  If the number is a known spammer, we won't ring your phone but send spammer directly to your voicemail.  Let us know if that helps reduce the amount of unwanted call you get.

Another alternative is that you can get another SmartLine number that is specific to the area you have business with.

Thanks,

Helen

New

I just turned on the spam filtering. I'll see how well that works. However, your suggestion of getting a 2nd number i think is a bad suggestion. That means I either have to keep two numbers, which for me would be pointless. Plus if i have two numbers, now I'm just going to get even more spam phone calls. Instead of getting spam phone calls from the area code on my first number, i'll start getting spam calls from the area code on the 2nd number.

In my opinion, unless your number was added to some specific list, it's pointless to get a new number. The spammers will call every and all numbers. Having more then one phone number just means you are going to get even more spam phone calls. 

Product Team
Product Team
Solution

Hello @merk 

I apologize for the confusion, let me try to clarify.

If you're able to, cancel your current number and get another number where your business operates in. So you'll still have one number.  The new number may not get as many spam calls as the old number.  I suspect that your current number is probably on many marketing lists probably from the previous owner and resold many times (GoDaddy does not resell your info) There isn't a systematic way to cleanse a number before being used again. Another number may not have the same faith and not all numbers are plague with neighborhood spam.  If you're concerned about the potential spam on the new number, you can try a new number for 30 days for free to monitor it before canceling the old number. 

I know this a drastic alternative especially if your current number is already established.  But it is an alternative for those who are able to get a new number.  Let us know how effective the Spam Filter is.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Helen