cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Cannot figure out how to get to the dashboard for a very old WP blog that I have neglected to long

About 12 years ago after we had our wordpress web site up and working I made a wordpress blog

the blog is helpfulhandyman.wordpress.com  I now need to edit the blog. Should i be able to get to it from

the same WP dashboard i use to edit my web site?  the web site is www.helpfulhandyman.net hosted at Go Daddy?  My old emails and such were lost when we changed computers so my old access info is gone.

it may be that i have two different accounts at wordpress.com ???  I am lost and going in circles. Any help would be great. my email is bruce@helpfulhandyman.net

6 REPLIES 6
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Cannot figure out how to get to the dashboard for a very old WP blog that I have neglected to lo

@bruceHH 

So Bruce - From what I can see the standard WordPress login page is loading, but I believe your question is (as I read it) is how can you reset your password for the site if you don't have access to the email used.

When you log into GoDaddy (https://account.godaddy.com/products/) I'm assuming you have one that says hosting or servers - from there you should be able to get to the cPanel / Control Panel

Once there you want to look for database / phpMyAdmin

Once into the database you will look for the wp_users table and then edit your user record

in the password field type your new password - where you see the dropbox to the left of the field select MD5 and then click the go button

You now should be able to log into the site with your user id and new password

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Re: Cannot figure out how to get to the dashboard for a very old WP blog that I have neglected to lo

I think since my blog helpfulhandyman.wordpress.com end with .com it is hosted at wordpress not Go/daddy. Am i wrong? that is why i am assuming i need to edit it thru a wordpress site. ???

Also is it possible or normal that my WED site and Blodg are edited from the same Wordpress Dashboard. i can edit the web site but cannot get to the blog. Thanks again for helping a handyman do web page work. Smiley Happy

Super User II Super User II
Super User II
Solution

@bruceHH 

http://helpfulhandyman.net/ and https://helpfulhandyman.wordpress.com appear to be two completely different sites. 

helpfulhandyman.wordpress.com is hosted on WordPress.com

helpfulhandyman.net has GoDaddy name servers

Either way, to login to your WordPress dashboard for either you would tack on /wp-login.php after the .net or .com to get to the WordPress dashboard login screen for that site.   There you can request a password reset to your email address.

If you don't have access to the email address that you used on either, what @PL281 advised is what you need to do to reset the site's password.

HTH!  Smiley Wink

Judith
"Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

that makes sense. The second and related issue is that since i do not have and receipts or other documents to prove that blog/account is mine at wordpress, the reset process is not that helpful. If only they had a help desk i could call or chat with.  I did send in a request yesterday and asked them to compare the photos of myself on my blog and my web site as proof it is my blog. But no response yet. Any ideas??

Super User II Super User II
Super User II

@bruceHH 

Unfortunately, being account access is a security issue, you'll have to work within the established system to authenticate yourself to gain access if the other options do not work.

Did you try accessing your receipts thru your online bank, CC or PayPal account portals?

Judith
"Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt