cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Error Uploading Images in WordPress

I have a couple of WordPress sites hosted on GoDaddy.  ONe's working fine.  The other, I'm getting this error message Uploading media.

Unable to create directory uploads/2017/01. Is its parent directory writable by the server?

What does this mean?  How do I solve this? I had no problems creating my other site.  I am taking over from previous person who started this site.  Theme is Twenty Thirteen I think, but same when I changed to other themes.  Thanks. 

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Error Uploading Images in WordPress

Hi,

GRANT USER *****YOU****** ALL PRIVILEGES ??

Just that you said 'you had taken over a from a previous person who had created this site'. Think the clue is right there somewhere.

Helper VI
Helper VI

Hello @maryGrace

Follow these steps to solve the problem:

-In the left menu go to Settings » Media.

-In the Store uploads in this folder field enter: wp-content/uploads and click Save changes.

-Now you are done, go and try to upload files to the media library again.

NOTE: make sure that the Store uploads in this folder field contain wp-content/uploads only.

If you can’t find the field in your media settings page you can solve the problem by adding the following code in your “wp-config.php” file:

define( 'UPLOADS', 'wp-content/uploads' );

but, make sure to add the code before this line:

require_once(ABSPATH . 'wp-settings.php');

Also, make shure that the parent directory is writable and error will be solved.

Good luck.
Smiley Happy

***Signature: -> Do not assume anything! If you want help, explain your problem. If my post helped you, give it a Kudo. If you have the solution, mark the topic as Solved.
New

I just changed over to Managed Wordpress. The first time I tried to upload an image, I got this error:

Unable to create directory uploads/2017/09. Is its parent directory writable by the server?

I found your post here and looked at the upload folder. It was already wp-content/uploads. I noticed that this box was checked:

Organize my uploads into month- and year-based folders

I unchecked that and tried again. I got this message:

Unable to create directory uploads. Is its parent directory writable by the server?

So what it seems to be telling me is that I don't have permission to write to the uploads folder. 

I also noticed I can't edit templates. Is this a function of managed WordPress? I noticed when I tried to edit a template that it said:

For your security, the WordPress file editor is disabled by default.

If you enable file editing all plugin and theme files on the server will become editable.

Is this why I can't upload images? Do I need to turn it off to upload images? And if I do turn it off, can I put the protection back on after I'm finished?

I'm not really experienced with WordPress, but I have been making minor edits to templates and uploading images for years. I'd like to do the same now, but I don't want to leave the site open to hacking.

This worked for me, thank you so much!