cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Session has expired after login to WordPress few seconds

My front end website running as normal, but the problem is when I login to back end, it request a username and password every 4 or 5 sec.
it shown "Your session has expired. Please log in to continue where you left off."

Best regard.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @papagiorgio200@LastMan@NonTechGuy@john_cooper@jmerschat@cagzkie@Adrian8

Sorry you're having trouble. If you have a Managed WordPress account, this is due to an issue our developers are working to address right now (sorry, no ETA at the moment). While they're working on it, there is a workaround that will prevent the automatic log out from happening. You would need to access your Managed WordPress account via SFTP and rename the /wp-content/object-cache.php file. (It doesn't really matter what you rename the file to, as long as it's not the name of another file in that directory.) For steps on accessing an account via SFTP, take a look at this article. I will try to post here again once the issue is resolved. Thanks for your patience.

Edit: This will workaround will also help users that see errors relating to APCu cache not being configured correctly.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

Helper II

I've read the solution provided + there's another situation where this occurs.

If you're using a network where your IP is dynamic, then this can also cause a situation like this.

So if you connect from one IP + then your IP changes, so your ISP or mobile service rotates your IP, this can cause a disconnection.

You can test this by googling whatsmyip before you login + then again, after WordPress tells you to login again.

If this situation occurs, then the fix is likely to change how you connect to your site (change ISP), to a service which rarely rotates your IP address.

Only way to know if this situation is occurring is to check your IP + see if it's changing.

59 REPLIES 59

I'm having this same exact issue. I thought it was something I did or someone trying to hack me. I will call tomorrow. 

I have the same issue too!  Frustrating.

I have a WordPress site. On January 7, GoDaddy upgraded to the latest version of PHP. This caused an authentication problem and login issue when accessing the WP Admin panel. I was asked to continually log in to the WP Admin panel, got error messages about "session expired," and was unable to access my website through Filezilla ("Authentication Failed" errors). A smart customer service woman with GoDaddy figured out that the problem was with object-cache.php, which sits in the wp-content folder. She edited the php file, reentered my user name and password and now my site is OK.

Having the same problem. Every few page transitions we're getting session expired and redirected to login.

Our site wordpress address and site address match. 

Getting Started

Yep, same thing. My URL's in general settings match. Went to try to deactivate a plug-in, keeps logging me out - preventing any tinkering with a bad plug-in.

Woke up this morning to this issue.

Hi @papagiorgio200@LastMan@NonTechGuy@john_cooper@jmerschat@cagzkie@Adrian8

Sorry you're having trouble. If you have a Managed WordPress account, this is due to an issue our developers are working to address right now (sorry, no ETA at the moment). While they're working on it, there is a workaround that will prevent the automatic log out from happening. You would need to access your Managed WordPress account via SFTP and rename the /wp-content/object-cache.php file. (It doesn't really matter what you rename the file to, as long as it's not the name of another file in that directory.) For steps on accessing an account via SFTP, take a look at this article. I will try to post here again once the issue is resolved. Thanks for your patience.

Edit: This will workaround will also help users that see errors relating to APCu cache not being configured correctly.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

I personally can lay off my site for a bit since it is a blog and not a business. However, is there a rough ETA?

I'm having the same issue. Since my site is a business this a problem. Please advise ETA ASAP. Thanks

We experienced this error so far on 1 production website. Curiously the staging version of this site did not have the problem. Just to be clear, I understand this has to do with the varnish caching system. After talking with a very helpful GD support staffer this morning, he deleted 2 files in the /wp-content directory and all appears to be fine about 1 hour later. Here's a picture of the 2 files that need to be deleted if you're having this problem. Clearing out cache and cookies and shutting down your browser is probably another set of safe bets to ensure there are no temporary files.

Alex Sirota, PMP - NewPath Consulting - Schedule some time with Alex
"At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Is there an article to get me to those files for a Word Press hosted site (Ultimate Plan)?

Hello @papagiorgio200

Check This https://uk.godaddy.com/hosting/wordpress-hosting

https://awamichat.com

I appreciate the help, but for those of us who know the basics and not the directory modifications (and who are operating on a Mac), is there a lamen's terms set of directions for how to either fix or work around this issue?

@dgrantsmith wrote:

I appreciate the help, but for those of us who know the basics and not the directory modifications (and who are operating on a Mac), is there a lamen's terms set of directions for how to either fix or work around this issue?

Hi @dgrantsmith - It should be pretty straight forward once you get your SFTP login credentials. All you need to do then is use a FTP/SFTP client that will let you modify the files. I think Cyberduck will do this. Once you log in, you should see several directories. Just go into the one labeled /wp-content and look for object-cache.php. Every client is a little different, but you should have the option to rename the file. That should help with the login issue. Here are a few screenshots of what it looks like in FileZilla:

SFTP1

SFTP2

@papagiorgio200 wrote:

It is happening again. Except I am getting 502 and 503 error codes - Error Code 

@papagiorgio200 - 502 and 503 errors would be a different issue altogether. There aren't currently any system wide issues that would cause this, so it is probably specific to your account. Please get in touch with our support team so they can take a look at your account specifically. 

@80smusicmom wrote:

Any update? I've been having this problem the last 24-36 hours.

I will have to call and have someone walk me through the STP solution as I'm not savvy enough to find that folder on my own.

@80smusicmom - Sorry you're having trouble. Take a look at the screenshots I posted above. They may help you. 

It's been a while since I've had to tinker with those folders (aka years). I'll just call as I'm not following, sorry. I still do not know how to get to the screen that shows those folders.

For more fun, I just got an email from Wordpress "We tried but were unable to update your site automatically." When I login, it says to notify site administrator.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping to high heaven I don't get hacked while I try and figure out what's going on.

I am having the same exact problem and it also says at the top that I need to notify an administrator because an update failed.  

I just got this as well: "An automated WordPress update has failed to complete! Please notify the site administrator." I was getting those error codes when I would try to log in after I was continuously booted from being signed in.

@papagiorgio200 wrote:

I just got this as well: "An automated WordPress update has failed to complete! Please notify the site administrator." I was getting those error codes when I would try to log in after I was continuously booted from being signed in.

Hi @papagiorgio200. The error "An automated WordPress update has failed to complete! Please notify the site administrator." is not related to the object-cache.php issue. There is another post on this with more information. See: https://www.godaddy.com/community/Managing-WordPress/Installatron-Updating-WordPress/m-p/30942#M2681

Thank you Jesse

I am able to sign in again, however.

I have restored the file back to a week ago. It seems fixed the log out problem.

Side issue is I was trying to restore earlier, however only 7 day, instead of 30 days standard backup is available to my files. This is the issue I will need to solve with godaddy.

I am also having issues and cannot update my site.  I' would LOVE to try the fix, but even your dumbed down version is way over my head.  What is SFTP and where do i fix it? where specifically do I access those files?  I've never seen files like that working on my site on my mac.  Thanks!